At the very beginning and confused.

• 31 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi Everyone.i had some xrays done recently because I thought I'd damaged my rotator cuff.

My shoulder xray came back OK but they were concerned with something they could see at the edge of the xray. So wanted me to have a chest xray.

I had the chest xray and I had a phonecall of the GP to say there was definitely something there.

This led to me being put on the 2 week pathway and sent for a ct thoracic scan as the Gp suspects lung cancer.

I had the ct scan which was over a week ago  but nobody will tell me the results.

2 days after the scan I had a phone call to arrange to go for a lung flow test and then to see a Respiratory Consultant after the tests.

My questions are

a) Will this Respiratort Consultantt be able to tell me the results of the ct scan? (even thoughthe scan was done at a different hospital)

b)  Does the fact it's an RC and not an Oncilogist mean it's not lung cancer?

Or (frightening myself here)

c) the fact I'm not seeing a Respiratory Consultant an Oncologist means there's something on the ct scans that shows it's spread and untreatable, so there's no point in me seeing an Oncologist?

How do these things work?  Is it normal to see a Respiratory Consultant  first., before an Oncilogist?

Any advice much appreciated as I keep phoning the GP surgery to try and get results of the xrays and scans and they fob me off and are very vague about things.and treat me like I'm being a nuisance 

Thanks

• Thank you Whatever Next.

I've been up since 4 this morning.

I've had so many cups of tea I'm sloshing about! :)

• Hi, i am awake too, so thought.i would tell you how things went in my case.had ct scan for bowel blockage, noticed shadow on lung, and then another ct scan a breathing test, a ct biopsy, kidney function test and another ct scan on head, all done at different hospitals but its all on computer so in the same hospital trust area. At the end of tests called in to see respirity consultant.she told me it was cancer and made an appointment to see oncologist.hopefully yours is not cancer, and i send you best wishes just thought i would let you know how things usually proceed

• Oh and a pet scan so much i forgot that lol

• Bad news today 

Have been told the main mass is in my right lung with lots of areas of concern in left lung.as well.  Also in adrenal glands and in.my shoulder and arm bones. (Explains the horrendous pain)

They think it's in my chest muscle as well.

Looks like it's spread really quickly.

As you can imagine I'm in shock and it's a lot to take in

Was a blubbering wreck when they told me!.

Next step is a biopsy.. I don't see that I'll be offered an operation if its here there and everywhere!

Feeling a bit fragile and shell-shocked. Xx

• So sorry, you are in shock which i understand we have been there, the biopsy will tell which cancer it is, in my case small cell lung cancer, the most agressive lung cancer, but still standing 1 year on, i had chemo and radiotherapy, not easy but has given me extra time. Please do not give up 

• Thank you so much. Xx

• Hi Harebell, feeling very fragile seems to be part of the course. I’m sad Disappointed you had such challenging news and I hope the oncologist can do a lot to help you. The biopsy will tell then what sort of cancer and then they’ll know which treatments will be best.

wishing you all the best xxx

• Dear Harebelle,

treat yourself very gently these next few days as you are in shock. 
    I want to say exactly what Daisychain said to you above as her words are spot on. 
    take care

M

• Feeling dazed today.  Probably from all the crying yesterday 

I'm so pleased I found this place.

Got a feeling I'm going to need it.

• Latest update.

1. Had my pre  radiotherapy meeting yesterday in which they scanned me and stuck a load of crosses on me ready for a block of 5 radiotherapy sessions next week.  X marks the spot!

I'm also having a bone biopsy on Monday.

They don't usually put the radiotherapy in place before the biopsy, but I've been in such extreme pain, they want to zap the area ASAP 

I also spoke to another consultant and she pulled my results up on screen agaun for me to see.

I was crying  too  much when I was originally shown, so probably didn't take it all in.

Anyway, that's where I'm at.

Trust me to get one that's extremely painful.

Feeling sorry for myself dt the moment but at least the crying stopped for now.