Avastin

• 6 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi, anybody got experience of avastin?  I might have it with xelox (capox) but its private prescription, not nhs.

Irinitecan and cetuxumab no longer working.

Also does anybody else get extreme pain from bones and headaches apart from obvious usual side effects frim cancer and treatment?

Ps, i struggle to type as chemo messed up finger tips.

• Hi  

I don't have any experience with avastin but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list.

I did do a search to see if others in the group are on this drug but drew a blank I'm afraid. Of course this doesn't mean that no one else is taking this drug just that they haven't posted about it.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• My husband is just starting with avasatin (plus Folfox/Xeloda). Not much info to share, but maybe as time goes on we can share notes. Good luck on your journey and all the best for 2024. 

• Also, we will be checking this site: https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/treatment/drugs/bevacizumab#:~:text=Bevacizumab%20is%20a%20type%20of,number%20of%20different%20cancer%20types, which has some great information on what to expect from side effects. My husband's port is healing now and the first infusion will be on the 15th of January. We are from UK but based in Japan, so Avastin is covered under medical insurance here. He was diagnosed with ascending colon cancer a month ago. Stage IV. Inoperable and spread to abdomen and chest wall. Good luck with Avastin, and hope that the break you are having now is relieving some of your chemo side effects. x

• I know Avastin isn't covered by NHS. Please could you advise what the costs are for it and how do you go about getting it prescribed? Sorry I am looking at this medication for my husband and just worried about the financial strain 

• Hi Sam, 

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. We are from the UK but based in Japan, hence the availability of Avastin. I am really not sure about the costs, at least at the moment, as we have not had the medical bill yet from the first round of chemotherapy. That said, costs in the UK may vary significantly from those in Japan and I have heard some horror stories that range from GBP250 to GBP2,700 per treatment. Our health insurance covers 70% of our bills, and there is also a ceiling payment per month so we expect overall treatment to be in the range of about GBP1,000 per month.  Apparently, Avastin is too expensive for the NHS at about GBP25,000 per year. But it is ridiculous it is not covered when everyone pays their national health insurance. I hope you get the answers you need and good luck with your research and getting affordable treatment. Prayers for your husband.