Secondary Liver Cancer - Yellow Eyes and DVT

• 1 reply
  • 8 subscribers

Hi All, I am looking for some advice really, a close relative of mine has been diagnosed with stage 4 oesophageal cancer about 6 weeks ago. He has recently developed swollen legs beneath the knee and very yellow eyes. We were told upon diagnosis that he was looking at approx 6 to 9 months. The recent symptoms along with stomach pain not yet under control by morphine, seem to suggest to us that he may have less time left with us, and if this is the case we will need to try and prepare for this. He has just finished radiotherapy this week. He is seeing the oncologist on Thursday to discuss possible chemotherapy. We aren't sure if this will be the best option now, such a difficult decision, does anyone have any experience of the signs of end of life, and does the jaundice and thrombosis indicate that there is more likely weeks rather than months left? 

We are obviously all very emotional at present but looking for some advice really to help us prepare for what's we are told is the inevitable. Also any practical advice is also welcome. Thank you.

• Hi and a warm welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to read that a close relative has been diagnosed with cancer and it's natural to want to know how to prepare for their end of life.

As you know the online community is divided up into different support groups so I hope you don't mind me recommending that you also join and post in the supporting someone with incurable cancer group which is for carers, friends and families of people with a terminal diagnosis to discuss their emotions about the prospect of losing their loved ones, as well as practical issues about palliative care and end of life.

If this is something that you'd like to do just click on the link I've created and then choose 'click to join' or 'join' (depending on the device you're using) on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'. 

Macmillan also have this information on what to expect at the end of life. If you'd prefer to talk to someone about this then you could give the Macmillan Support Line a call on 0808 808 0000. It's free to call and is available every day between 8am and 8opm

It would be great if you could pop something about your relative's diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username. 

Sending a virtual ((hug))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"