Scan results marked as urgent!

• 5 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi everyone 

I’m just wondering if anyone has any idea what this means? I had my first 6monthly scan following liver resection today. I asked the nurse when to expect my results, and she said my notes state that they are urgent. I’m trying to calm myself by assuming this just means the usual two weeks it used to take before they had a backlog. Anyone else had this experience? 

• I'm from the kidney group and get regular monitoring scans.  I've been asked whether the results are "urgent" immediately after the CT scan.  I replied, no, because the normal schedule is CT scan then results 2 weeks later.  My onco writes it on the scan request - "results by dd/mm/yy".   These scan results were subsequently delayed by a lot, way beyond the requested date.  I reckon they put it on the non-urgent = "do not bother" pile.   I had to phone up twice and get an escalation added to it, to get the results. My onco chased too.  Hard work!  I wouldn't worry about it at all.  

My oncologist explained there is a shortage of radiologists uk wide, my region was the worst of all he dealt with - I reckon your onco is just being clever and making sure you get the results in 2 weeks.  

• Mmum

thank you so much for responding so quickly to my question! You’re right about the lack of radiologists. I live in Devon, and we also have a shortage of oncologists. I’ll stop worrying about it. 

• Happy to put your mind at ease!  I have my follow-up lecture prepared for radiology when they ask me again but unfortunately they haven't.  End of last year that happened.  

• I would add to what @Mmum has said. My first CT scan results took 7 weeks to come back because they weren’t marked as urgent. I didn’t put pressure on them myself because I had been told by oncology that they didn’t expect to find anything sinister. The scan was done to confirm diverticulitis that had put me in hospital during chemo for my primary cancer. The diverticulitis had.cleared, so I wasn’t worried. But it incidentally found a secondary lesion on my liver. I have recently had my own first round of scans following liver ablation. I would be highly surprised if my oncologist hasn’t marked these as urgent after her huge embarrassment over the diverticulitis scan. I find out on the 29th. Wishing you all the best with your results. 

• Thank you so much for your response Coddfish. I’m now convinced that I will get my results in the normal two week waiting time. I know that most of us find the waiting for appointments, tests, scans and results the hardest. Wishing you luck for 29th.