Pain after liver resection 8 weeks post op

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 14 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hi all

My husband had his liver resection (open surgery) 8 weeks ago (65%) and has recovered fairly well. He is still having pain around his wound site which he says feels like a constant stitch. Its a vague pain during the day and becomes much worse at night. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

Thanks

• Hi

I'm afraid I don't have the experience you're looking for but noticed that your post had gone unanswered, By replying to you it will 'bump' it back to the top of the page where someone with the right experience might see it and respond. Of course it could be that no one here has had this happen to them and that's why you haven't had any replies.

While you're waiting for a response you could use the search bar in this group to look for older posts that talk about the pain your husband is experiencing.

I'm hoping that this pain has now stopped, but if it hasn't your husband could get in touch with his CNS tomorrow.

Wishing you and your husband all the best

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thanks. X

• Hi Cloudy ,

Sorry I never noticed your post . My mum did have lots of niggling pain post op . Think it got worse nearer night time as she retained more fluid and seemed to pull more . 

She had no signs of infection and it eventually settled . Big surgery for sure .

Glad to hear he is doing well ,

Take care,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to court

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Cloudy2018. I had a Liver Resection in August 2019 and everybody has been pleased with my progress. I had 75% removed and I'm experiencing the same problem. Everywhere else is fine. I still have a dressing over the wound which I believe is where they made access to my Liver.I asked the Oncology nurse's to change my dressing and they noticed some yellow puss. They have took a swab to try and determin there are no growths. I find the pain worst when sitting down .I am seeing my Surgeon at a Hospital in Birmingham next week but I just assume it's part of the healing process  . They don't tell you much do they when you're discharged that's what I've found the most annoying  .Anyway lovely to chat. My biggest problem is I'm very emotional and finding it hard to get my head round all this .I was diagnosed 2years ago and have had 28 chemo sessions a d I've been great .This has all started since my discharge after op.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Unleadedkev

That's a lot to try to get your head around no wonder you feel all over the place! Twenty eight sessions of chemo must have been brutal. You’re right when you say they don’t tell you much about what to expect during the healing process particularly when you’re discharged so soon after surgery. I spent many a night on google (wrong thing to do!)  checking symptoms, type of pain and his colour etc. However, we do thank God every day for our NHS and the treatment my husband received, we are extremely lucky in this country! My husband’s pain on lying down did eventually resolve itself and as you say must’ve been part of healing process. He’s now 1 year clear, we hold our breath for the results of CT scans, you’ll know only too well how that feels! Recently he’s had an issue with his platelets but hoping steroid treatment will sort this out. Remember you’ve just had major surgery and your body will need time to heal. Be good to yourself and accept help from those who offer, even if they just have a cup of tea and a chat with you it can help to talk and it lets others know how you’re feeling. I thank you for sharing your experience and wish you a speedy recovery. I hope your visit to your surgeon goes well next week. Take good care of yourself. Xx

• FormerMember

Hi cloudy2018. I am receiving Councilling from a cancer charity and I have all the support I need from Family and Friends but they all say the same thing. My problem is with me and I have to pull myself together but sometimes I'm so wrapped up in myself I just want to shut the door and sleep.Although I'm not overly concerned I have lost weight and  only wabt to eat small portions.I am constantly tired and I sleep a lot.Im 61 in a happy marriage with a 11 year old daughter she is a little frightened for which is totally understandable and I don't like her to see me crying but I see it as a total release. I have seen Doctor who has prescribed me some happy pills. I am anxious a lot and my mind gets carried away. Sorry to go on but I like to talk am very open a d thanks for listening. 

• FormerMember

Hi unleadedjev

I'm glad you’re receiving counselling but I guess these things take time and it won’t be a quick fix for sure. I think it’s natural to be a little self absorbed considering all you’ve been through. You are the one who has to deal with it all, no respite.  It’s hard for your family too because as an onlooker you feel really helpless and want to help but often can only do the practical things. You should be very proud of yourself and of your body’s ability to deal with everything that’s been thrown you! You’ve done amazingly well so far! Your daughter naturally must be worried about you, it’s a lot to deal with at such an age where lots of changes are taking place.  Children often overhear more than we think they do and don’t always get it right!  I’m sure she must be one of the reasons you push yourself! I hope the new tablets can help you over this hurdle and that you soon feel more like your old self. Best wishes. 

• FormerMember

Hi cloudy2018. Many thanks for your words of encouragement. Best wishes and God bless to you and allyour family 

• Hi

Just want to say that it’s a very big surgery having 75% removed . My mum was warned by the surgeon that even those people with the best of constructed defences struggle a bit going through all this . Still relatively early days for you . Your still recovering.

From watching my mum the next period gets so much better . Her liver has remained clear for eight years and she has had many , many enjoyable times .

Be kind to yourself ,

Court 

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000