Awaiting a proper diagnosis.

• 11 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hi There, 

I'm Jill and I have heard this morning that the lesions found on my liver have grown and now merged. The lessons were diagnosed 5 weeks ago as I had a pulmonary embolism in November so needed a CT scan to try and identify the cause. I have had blood tests and a gastrophoscopy which were all good. I'm terrified as the survival rate for liver cancer doesn't look good. I have a biopsy on the 5th March but not sure how to cope with the coming days. I was told at first that the lesions were small but was later told the size of them and not sure if they are 9cms or 9mms. I can find that out though. It doesn't sound like there is much chance of the lesions being benign so I wonder if anyone can help coping strategies for the next 10 days. Thank you. 

• Hi Jill 

My husband was diagnosed in Novemeber with a 9cm lesion on the liver although we then found out it was secondary oesophagal cancer, he has had his second lot of chemo. 

I know its difficult but try be positive, dont make assumptions everyone is different and treatment has come along way. Fingers crossed for you. 

• Thank you for your kind reply. It helps to know that treatment has come a long way. I really hope your husband recovers soon and all the best to you too. 

• Hi Jill I’m in the same boat it’s a very worrying time I’m waiting for a biopsy next Friday and the results 3 weeks later 

I’ve 3 lesions 1 8mm 1 10mm 1 30mm but I feel fine bloods ok no pain just so worried 

• Hi Markdavid., 

1. It is a very worrying time and it's hard to know what to do for the best. I think sometimes it's having no control which is always stressful. I don't have pain either, I'm told it's a good thing so that sounds a bit more promising. It's very hard to not run away with it all. My mind goes everywhere as I'm sure yours does. It seems like a very long road ahead at the moment. I keep telling myself that after today I will put it aside but tomorrow I will eat sensibly, lots of fruit and veg, do a bit of yoga and go for walks. That's easier said than done, I know. The lovely nurse at Macmillan told me yesterday it's best not to Google anything which I am guilty of. It's good advice. I think we all want to find something that tells us it will be ok. The middle of the night is one of the worst times but the nurse gave me the name of an app that can help with that. It's Big Health and there is an item on there about techniques on there to help with sleeping. The is also a charity called Liver cancer UK. It feels at the moment that we will never feel happy or relaxed again, I'm sure there are others who can tell us that's not the case. There is alot of support out there but at the moment it all feels so isolating. It's terrifying but hopefully things will settle down a bit. Sorry you have to wait 3 weeks for your biopsy results. I've been told up to two weeks! You may get yours a bit earlier. I really hope your lesions are benign. You look after yourself. J
  • Thank you so much fingers crossed for both of us and anyone else who are waiting 

• Fingers crossedWinter always turns to spring.. As you say, fingers crossed for all of us. Thank you. J

• Hi Markdavid, 

I hope all goes well tomorrow with your biopsy. I'm off to the hospital for more blood tests. Take care. jlaw. 

• Thank you hope all goes ok with you

• Fingers crossed. Thumbsup

Fingers crossed

• Hi there, I remember only too well the battery of tests. I went through all of them last June/Jul. My treatment ( Immunotherapy ) started in August and 9 treatments down the line everything is looking fine. I did exactly what I was told not too and almost wore the keyboard looking up anything and everything. Don't do it, not only is it misleading it leans towards the worst cases scenarios. Yes I get a bit tired & with it temperamental but I'm well, doing everything I can and as far as terminal Cancer lets me I'm happy. Surround yourself with the good things and people in your life. Every day is precious and most importantly speak out if and when you don't feel right. No matter how insignificant you think it is - speak out & speak loud, the wonderful nurses are there to help and help they do.

Happiest Easter all round.  xx