Just found out my mum has cirrhosis of the liver and a 5cm lesion, not coping with the wait for more info and her struggle with the news

• 2 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi, my mum went to hospital three weeks ago with abdominal pain and had a CT scan. She was sent home with antibitiotics to treat an infected gallbladder and appendix and told me they had found a small tumour on her stomach. She has been unwell for ages but refused to see a Dr - weight loss, vomiting, fatigue, fainting, and I had started to notice personality changes and confusion last summer.

She was very cagey about the information she had been given when she was in hospital, but went back for an MRI last week and let it slip afterwards the MRI was looking at her liver, not stomach. She then told me she has been told she has cirrhosis of the liver over the phone, but not what stage it is. She firstly told me they did not know whether the lesion is likely cancerous, and then a few minutes later told me they told her they don't know if it is primary or metastastic. She has told me she will be speaking to a consultant within 4 weeks, and has agreed I can go with her to support her and ask the right questions, especially as she is struggling with confusion and memory loss. 

I'm struggling because I have this nagging feeling she knows more and it is bad news which she is keeping from me. Do they really just drop this kind of news to patients over the phone with no explanation?

I understand she is probably feeling very ashamed about the cirrhosis right now as she has been a heavy drinker up until recently (I noticed she had cut down a couple of months ago and was relieved). I'm also aware she probably thinks she is protecting me. But she is currently in the process of convincing herself she hasn't drunk heavily in years, and is refusing to tell her husband (my step dad who is also a heavy drinker) about the cirrhosis diagnosis. She also told me she told the dr she only drinks one or two units a week. She has shut down completely the last few days and is cold with me on the telephone and says she is absolutely fine and feels really healthy, and I'm convinced she isn't going to let me come along to the consultant appointment to help her navigate all of this, and on a selfish level let me get some clarity so I don't go mad with the stress - I'd rather know everything or nothing, not this confusing middle ground. 

I guess I'm posting because I'd like to hear from anyone else supporting someone with cirrhosis of the liver in the face of the stigma attached to it (she is an upstanding member of her village community), their response etc., as because I'm the only person who knows about the cirrhosis diagnosis I can't talk about this with anyone in real life. I've consulted Dr Google (a lot) and it says that a 5cm or greater tumour on the liver of someone with cirrhosis is cancer 90% of the time and she won't be able to have chemotherapy, so I guess I'm also posting to hear from anyone else with experience of this (and to keep me away from Google ;) )

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I can't help with your questions, as I had a different type of cancer, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

I hope you are able to accompany your mum to her appointment.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for bumping Slight smile