Shell shocked after diagnosis of liver cancer

• 10 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hi, my husband has just been diagnosed with primary liver cancer which is also affecting several blood vessels and lymph nodes.

We don't have a treatment plan yet, as have to wait for the multi disciplinary review in Cardiff (100 miles away) next week.

Feeling a bit shell shocked, and don't know if we have weeks, month or years left, or even if I should ask that. Any advice appreciated. 

• Hello Cosh Girl

Welcome to the Online Community.

I am sorry to hear that your husband has just been diagnosed with primary liver cancer. It must be a really worrying time for you both and it is hard waiting to hear what is coming next. Once the MDT have met and discussed it, hopefully you will find out more about what lies ahead. I am pleased that you have found the Liver Cancer forum and hopefully by sharing on there you will find people on the same journey who will understand what you are both experiencing. 

There is also a carers forum that you may find helpful yourself. I will pop a link here in case this interests you. 

Carers only forum - Macmillan Online Community

I will pop a link here that may also help. It has a bit of information about liver cancer and what treatment can be offered. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is also some information on other ways you can contact Macmillan if you need to. 

Liver cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support

Feeling shell shocked is perfectly normal, in fact there is no right or wrong way to feel in these circumstances. I hope that you will both get some answers next week after the MDT meeting and hopefully having a plan ahead will help.

In the mean time if talking to someone would help, please give the support line a call. The number is at the bottom of this and they will understand. 

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi

My Dad was diagnosed with primary liver cancer in March and whilst it was contained to liver it took a little while to get a plan together. He too had to travel to Cardiff which was a long journey. The plan was Targeted therapy but the side effects really took it's toll. I think my main bit of advice is to make sure you discuss the pros and cons carefully of any treatment. 

It's been a rollercoaster and like you we were shell shocked. I think empowering yourselves with as much info as possible, keeping an open mind and trying to remain positive. Each day as it comes is our family motto at the moment and trying not to think too far ahead.

Best wishes

• Thank you so much, take every day as it comes has become our mantra too. Hope your dad is doing ok.

• He's had another blip after restarting targeted therapy. As much as we want it to work, the side effects hit him hard. Focusing on trying to get him back to a more stable place at the moment. Wishing you both well.

• Hi, So sorry to hear about your dad.   could you say what treatment your dad had.  my husband has just been diagnosed and we have been told he could have ablation or resection .

• Hi Beverley,

That sounds a really positive treatment plan.  Unfortunately my Dad didn't tolerate Targeted therapy and he wasn't appropriate for anything else.  Sadly he passed away in July.  

I hope everything goes well and you get all the support you both need! 

Best wishes

Gemma

• ohhh Gemma. im so sorry to hear your dad passed away. Thank you for replying to message. I hope you are doing okay I know its so hard to lose a parent . x

• I lost my husband with liver cancer after 19 days from diagnosis was so quick he was at work on the Sunday and in the doctors after a routine blood test in the Tuesday then straight to hospital on the Wednesday there told us he had cancer there did biopsy’s on this home Friday then I had to phone 111 on Saturday sent us to another hospital there said give him some Gaviscon wow he was bk in hospital on the Monday hone Tuesday for 10 days then bk in hospital again on the following Friday on the Sunday he was very poorly passed in the Tuesday so sad 

• Hi,

I think the initial shock has passed and now 3 months on it's hard to face reality. 

I really wish you and your husband all the best. 

X

• I'm so sorry to hear this.  Liver cancer really is unforgiving. I hope you're getting the right support you need..x