Partner awaiting diagnosis for suspected liver cancer

• 3 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi  My partner is awaiting diagnosis for suspected liver cancer. They first had abdominal pains in February and went to GP. Initially given advice re IBS, gallstones etc. This was in spite of my partner having had bowel cancer previously and genetic testing showing a high risk of future cancers. My partner has an active lifestyle and is proactive in following up health issues with GP/hospital  etc however it does seem to be hard to get properly listened to. I realise that covid and general state of NHS is very much an issue- until this evening he had not seen a doctor- only a few short unsatisfactory phone calls. We were able to pay for a private ultrasound as NHS one subject to 9 week delay- arranged in a few days. Had to then chase GP for a phone call to discuss ahead of one that was booked for 3 weeks time. Scan showed lesions on liver however no other details. Their routine NHS bowel colonoscopy has just come back as clear. As a result of scan and GP call, they did get a an urgent 2 week referral to the hospital. CT scan now booked in for end of May, again after chasing up on a cancelled appointment due to admin delay from GP to hospital. A very anxious time for both of us. Having been through previous experience (where treatment was successful and quite efficient), we have a good idea of what to expect however just really want to know exactly what we are facing now....we had a trip to local hospital out of hours service tonight after a NHS 111 call due to level of abdominal pain. Good to actually see a doctor and were given pain relief and some other medication suggested by GP however not yet prescribed. Good advice from family and friends (those that know the situation) is not to worry until we have the diagnosis however it is really hard not to fear the worst. I do realise that from a medical point of view and comparing with some other cases, it may seem that the waiting is shorter than others have had to experience. The NHS and media advice that early diagnosis is key to better outcomes just makes it a very anxious time when there are ongoing symptoms and then it is hard to get that early diagnosis....good to be able to post this and dissipate some of the anxiety...our experience so far is that it is important to keep checking and not assume that what you are expecting to happen has been followed up on...if we had known before about the 9 week delay on scans, we could have booked a private one earlier. Again, I realise that may not be an option for everyone...

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Waiting for a diagnosis can be a very anxious time so it's good that you feel that writing everything down here has helped.

I'll be keeping everything crossed that there is a non-cancerous reason for your partner's abdominal pains.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you for your reply. We have just come back from the CT scan today. By ringing the hospital and checking for any cancellations, that has also happened a bit quicker. So hopefully, we will have some more news either by the end of this week or early next week. I think being proactive about appointments has also helped my partner to feel a bit more in control. They are always polite when asking however keen that there are not unnecessary delays due the hospital and GP staff being very busy 

• That's great that your partner was able to get a cancellation and you are right that you need to be proactive when it comes to your health care. 

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"