Just diagnosed with secondary liver cancer

• 8 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hello everyone

New to this so just trying to find people in similar circumstace who can share.

I had bowel cancer 2017, operated, no chemo, thought it was all done and I can't believe after nearly 4 years, it's come back on the liver.

Its too large to operate so chemo starts this week.

Quite scary, I am 56 otherwise in great health and fitness having been running and cycling for many years.

Thanks for.listening

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you've just been diagnosed with secondary liver cancer from the bowel cancer you had a few years ago. 

I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you might like to join the secondary liver cancer group where you can ask questions, share experiences and get support from others whose cancer has spread. If you'd like to do this clicking on the link I've created will take you straight there where you can join and post in the same way as you did here.

When you feel ready it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook

Firstly, many thanks for taking the time to reply to my message, much appreciated.

I will take your advice, complete my profile and also join the secondary Liver Cancer group for further support.

Kind Regards

X

• Hi.

I am also 56 years old. 

I was diagnosed in December 2020 with small bowel cancer. The consultant told me it was most probable from the Crohn's disease I suffer from. App small bowel cancer is very rare. He also said there was some small tumours in my liver. A operation took place on my small bowel in January 2021 to try and remove cancer but it was not successful. I was then told I would have to start chemotherapy.

February 2021 I started chemotherapy and after six rounds I had another scan. The scan showed the tumours in both places had started to shrink but unfortunately new ones had appeared. I was then started on a new chemotherapy called Folfox. It is used mainly to treat bowel cancer and pancreatic cancer and also used for other cancers. Today I have completed my 5 th round of Folfox chemotherapy with one to go. I then have another scan which I am dreading.

I hope this helps you in some way.

• Hi,

I too have bowel cancer I’m 34 inoperable as too close to my rectum but it is treatable, I have also been diagnosed with liver cancer I have many tumours on my liver. I will be started chemotherapy Folfox on the 24th sept worried and scared of what will happen whether it will work but I have to give it a good go for my children’s sake. I too thought I was in good health I only found out 2 weeks ago 5 weeks previous I was happy healthy no symptoms nothing then all went down hill and was told the bad news.

Although the consultant has said the bowel is not curable so I will always have the cancerous tumour they can manage it I think there more concerned over mY liver but thinking positive if the chemo works I’m going in for 6 rounds then will be scanned I am hoping they can remove the rest via operation as you can live with upto 30% of your liver so try not to worry and stay positive.

Take care for now always here if you need a chat 

• Hello there.   

That must have been a shock. My bowel cancer was very low in rectum but they got the tumour out 3.5 years ago. It's just come back on liver and I am on chemo. Plan is like you maybe, chemo shrinks the tumours and then they operate. I am told chemo works well in general on secondary liver cancer so try and keep positive. 

Try and keep your mind focused on the goal, and if possible my advice is try and live life normal, I have children and we have tried to keep thinks normal.

Try and keep up some excersise if you can is my advice, just low intensity, walking is a great healer and when you come to your operation, you will recover better.

Probanly telling you what you already know but give your liver the best chance, drink plenty of water, off alcohol, I eat Blue berries, black grapes and generally stay away from processed foods.

I am only on my 2nd cycle of chemo of 4. I already feel better, luckily no side effects but pain around liver has gone and my liver function has improved.

Good luck on your journey, stay positive and don't let the bigger get you down.

Best Of.luck

• Thank you for your reply, the doctor said it is 15 cm away from my rectum so couldn’t operate? Maybe I need a second opinion I’m not sure just going by what they have tolD me.

the pain is horrendous on my Liver I’m currently on morphine but again I am hoping once chemo starts that will fade and my tumours will shrink I think I have around 6 maybe more biggest is 11cm the bowel is only one tumour which is 5cm. I am too hoping for surgery if chemo works but they are worried me coming of chemo knowing it’s spread already and being off chemo for months whilst recovering from surgery it could spread further but we will see what the outcome of chemo is first.

that's brilliant you have had no side effects I am hoping the same as I have a serious fear of being sick! I have to go in for 4 hours then they fit me with a bag for two days then have it removed how do you have your chemo? 

strange thing is I don’t drink only on special occasions never been a big drinker so was shocked it went to my liver as it must has been very healthy but glad it’s not spread anywhere else for now. I eat plenty of fruit and smoothies etc so will try my best now I have a stronger pain relief I can start walking dog over the field again I was in agony before I couldn’t walk!l hoping to get off the drugs tho once chemo starts to work as I had pumping myself full of drugs as I’ve never been that type of person but it was needed the pain for too much! 

I am hoping age on mY side il come out on the other side just got to stay positive. Keep me posted on your journey I hope they will operate xx

• My Bowel was very close to rectum, that close I thought it was hemoroids! I was lucky and my work had private health so I got a really good recommded surgeon, look him up, Gethin Williams at St Joseph Hospital Newport. 

I guess every cancer is different so what worked or not for me maybe different, but I did originally get two opinions. 8 just wasn't comfortable with the initial surgeon.

My Bowel cancer was removed with open surgery as it was very low down and I had to wear a bag for a while but had an ileostomy reversal so back to normal on my bowel side.

Your age should defo go in your favour.

I have 3 liver tumours, main one is 12cm big right in the centre of liver.

When they take up to 2 thirds away, it grows back. 

If it were me I would always get 2 opinions, even if you pay for an initial private consultation with a private consultant, £120 ISH, then they will just request all your records and scan results from existing hospital. So when I went to see my consultant, he had everything he needed to give an opinion.

Good.luck

• Just reading through posts on the site. My partner has had bowel cancer previously- a recent routine colonoscopy has come back as clear. Treatment for the bowel cancer was surgery, no chemo required- fairly straightforward. They have now been having abdominal pain and a recent scan, paid for privately as NHS wait was 9 weeks- shows lesions on the liver. We are at the stage of awaiting a CT scan. An anxious time until we know exactly what the situation is. Useful to be able to come on this site and hear about other situations and treatments. They are very fit and active, healthy lifestyle, aged 59 however genetic testing last time did show a genetic mutation which puts them at higher risk. It has seemed like an uphill battle so far getting the GP to take our recent concerns seriously. Interesting advice about the second opinions.