Liver Lesions

• 11 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hello

I had a scan 5 days ago* where they found 2 lesions on my liver. The GP requested an urgent CT scan and further investigations which I am waiting to get a date for and I was told by the sonographer that they will need to look for masses on a clearer scan. I feel as though no one is really telling me anything even though I understand there isn’t much to say until they know more.

I am only young (28) but have been living with abdominal pain for around 3-4 years now, being constantly sent away by various doctors and radiographers who dismissed my symptoms. This time I went back to explain the pain is still very much there and this is what happened.

I am very concerned as i have also recently been referred to the chronic fatigue clinic due to struggling with sleepiness so much for months now. I also have a general feeling of being unwell all the time as I had explained to my GP before having this scan. 

Now with the results I just can’t sleep or concentrate on anything. I have two young children too. Just looking for some support I suppose from anyone else who is going through investigations for lesions and what to prepare myself for.

Thank you x

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm not a member of this forum but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list and I'm sure some forum members will be along soon to share their experiences with you.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your symptoms and tests to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you very much, this is helpful. I have posted the info on my profile and will add it here too. 

• I hope you get some answers soon x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Kitty cakes

I know from first hand experience what you are going through, desperate for the phone to ring with some news and the feeling that everyone is dragging their heels while you are at the most frightening point of your life! I can't and wouldn't comment on your health and likelihood of all the possible outcomes but what I do know is given your age and symptoms that a treatment plan is very likely indeed and it will probably be with a veiw to the best possible outcome. I try to keep things in the day and not to project about the ifs and ands, I know its easier said than done but if you can just concentrate on here and now it helps.

Try to eat and drink healthily with loads of super foods like fresh fish, fruit and veg it can help physically and mentally. Taking walks helps me too ( I am not fit

enough to exercise) 

Try to drink plenty of clear fluids,

nothing is better than water! 

You say you have chronic fatigue which must be awful, especially with 2 young kids running around. You really can only do what you can at the moment and mustn't feel bad about that, rest when you can, eat when you are hungry, drink when thirsty, listen to your body. 

I know this isn't the answer to your dilemma but it might help even if just a little.

Be kind to yourself 

• Thank you, I appreciate your comment, it’s very kind of you to take the time. My CT has been changed to an MRI with contrast after the doctor reviewed my scans (no idea what it means but that’s what has been said) and brought forward to tomorrow, so I am glad that it will be done with for now. 

Yes the chronic fatigue is tough, and I also struggle with exercise due to this and joint pain. However I am wondering if the fatigue is linked to the liver issues / pain which I will be interested to find out.

It’s unfortunately too easy to be fobbed off by professionals when you’re young. Thanks so much for just sharing the worry with me, you’re right, it’s so hard waiting to know. The unknown is terrifying. 

Sending love x

• Hi Kittycakes

An MRI is much better than a CT scan, they can see and detect so much more with it. MRI is the one where you lie on a bed and rolled into a large tube, the tube has a strong magnetic field and takes all the live images of your stomach, liver and spleen ( and anything in between) it makes quite a bit of noise as it takes the images but it's completely painless and there is absolutely nothing to worry about, you will have headphones on so the operator can tell you when to take deep breaths etc and you have a microphone attached so you can talk to them if you need to. I once fell asleep in one so don't worry about that at all.

You won't get any answers tomorrow but it will definitely be in the pipeline.

Remember this is a time in life when you should ask your family and friends for help if you need it, don't be shy! Ask them to come to your appointments so you don't get fobbed off and be brave and tell the professionals you don't understand and to make things clear, ask for a letter to be sent to your home covering what was said and decided at your appointment. You are the important one in this and you need to know the answers to things which are bothering you.

Macmillan staff are fantastic and if you are feeling scared or lost or confused please call them, they may not have the answers but they usually know who will.

Will be thinking of you tomorrow, let me know how it goes if you want to.

Good luck 

• Hi KittyCakes, I can empathise with what you are experiencing at the moment, I too have had a liver lesion discovered earlier this year. I have gallstones and ended up in hospital after an acute episode, the liver lesion was found on a CT scan as part of my evaluation.

I think we all want/hope for clear information as soon as possible, and it's natural to feel this adds to the uncertanty, stress and anxiety. And there's still the usual stress of family responsibilities, work etc. As Henna replied, be kind to yourself, drop the less important tasks until you feel you have the information and energy to deal with them. With two young children it must be difficult to find time for yourself - if you have family or friends who can help, then don't feel guilty about doing that.

Glad to hear that you, hopefully, have had your MRI by now and a clearer diagnosis shortly. I had an update 2 weeks after my MRI - in my case they weren't able to differentiate if the lesion is benign or malignant, so I'm waiting for a follow up MRI in June to see if there are any changes.

Sending positive thoughts x

• Hi,

thanks so much for your comment. I’m sorry you’re waiting too and going through this, it’s such a worrying time. I feel as though I shouldn’t complain as I know people who have actually been diagnosed go through such an awful ordeal and must be so scared. But it almost feels as if your life is on hold when you’re waiting for answers and they drop a bombshell on you. 

I ended up having my MRI on Monday as they had issues with my cannula for the contrast last week. I asked if the results will be back any quicker with it being urgent but no one seems to know. I can’t sleep, I feel ill all the time with worry. My mum has been a great support and came with me to my scan. I was in there from 1.50pm to 3.15pm and it felt like forever. 

I’ll update here if I do get any answers soon. But I’m grateful for the support in the meantime as I wasn’t sure where else to go where there would be people who understand the worry. Xx

• Thank you,

I had my MRI on Monday instead as they had issues with my cannula for the contrast. I asked if the results will be any faster due to it being urgent but no one seems to know. I’m really struggling with the anxiety and feel like I’m being silly but it does feel as though your life is on hold when something like this happens. I’ve never had a health scare before so it has really hit me hard and I’m really scared what could happen next if the results aren’t good.

i will update with answers hopefully soon, but I’m so grateful for the kind words and support from people who understand the worry of waiting xx

• Please don't feel that you are complaining, you are expressing your concerns and anxieties - a very different thing. You are not alone in this, as it's often been said - it's good to talk!

My understanding is that within the NHS there is an aim to get urgent scans reviewed with 2 weeks, maybe if you haven't heard in that timescale then call the hospital.

x