MDS

• 2 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Good evening all,

My Dad has MDS and other things possible unsure of what a lot of the jargon means to be honest., Unfortunately he is not able to have a bone marrow transplant due to his heart. I can see him declining before my eyes and I’m just finding it so difficult to accept and more importantly deal with. I’m just so scared and will be glad when Christmas and the new year are over. I myself have always suffered with my mental health but this is now all starting to affect my health too. Unsure as to what I’m meant to post here but just feel I need an outlet at times as it just eats away inside me.

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various blood cancer groups.

I am so sorry to read about your dad's diagnosis, this is such a hard time for all the family.  MDS is a specific blood cancer and rather different from Leukaemia so you may want to join and post in our MDS/MPN/ET/PV/myelofibrosis (MF) group as this would be a safe place to talk to other people who may have a similar diagnosis, treatment experience or are supporting someone on their cancer journey.

When it comes to the specific practical challenges of supporting someone on their cancer journey you may benefit from joining our supportive Carers only and Supporting someone with incurable cancer groups where you will connect with others supporting family and friends.

The Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 or via web chat. This service provides cancer information, emotional support, benefits and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

To find information covering diagnosis, treatments and pages covering most types of cancers check our Online Information and Support Section

Talking to people face to face can indeed help a lot but during these strange times it’s not that available but do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area has opened up. Do also check out for a local Maggie's Centre in your area.

Always around if you need further help in navigating the community.

All the very best ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank-you for your response much appreciated x