CLL in 40’s

• 3 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Morning 

I was devastated to find out that I have CLL at the age of 48. I’m very fit; into mountain biking, road biking and the great outdoors. I have 2 gorgeous kids and own my own business. 

My lymph nodes are already raised and I have an enlarged spleen, although I’m currently playing the waiting game for a CT scan.

Is there anyone else who has had a similar diagnosis at such a young age for this particular cancer? I’m still feeling pretty numb to be honest and trying to process the news. Any advice greatly appreciated. 

• Hi  you may want to join our dedicated CLL, SLL, HCL support group.

This is going to sound very confusing but Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia (CLLis seen in the same light as a type of slow-growing (Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma or indolent) non-Hodgkin lymphoma!!!....... and not in the same light as most other Leukaemias. This is why we have a dedicated CLL support group as the journey is very different.

I have lived with a low grade NHL for over 23 years, diagnosed at 43 and now living as healthy a life as any 67 year old can live.

Join the group and copy and paste this post into a new thread and we can talk more.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Chrispin

My partner was also diagnosed with CLL in Nov 22. Such a shock as, though not as young as you, he too had been very active and fit. Worked in Afganistan till 2v ears ago were he ran half marathons in 45 degrees heat, played football all over the world for the RAF for 22 years and still playes for his sons team on a Sunday who are half his age. He's also been a vegitarian  for 34 years so it goes to show it can strike anyone even, like you, the very fit.

We are also coming to terms with this diagnosis but all I can say is keep positive and take heart that most people seem to live with this condition for a long time.

Janx

• Thanks for the reply Janx. Like you, my wife is probably finding the news more difficult to deal with than I am. We’re trying to work out when to tell the kids, but figured we’d wait until the results of my scans etc. Here’s hoping I have many more miles on the clock yet!!