AML and stem cell transplant

• 1 reply
  • 12 subscribers

Partner diagnosed with aml has had a few rounds of Chemotherapy now requires Stem Cell transplant, found 2 matches but transplant has been put back twice due to issues with donors has anyone had a similar experience, is this normal we built up to this point only for everything to be stopped, now having to wait and go through more Chemotherapy.

• Hi 

sorry to hear that your partner has AML and requires a stem cell transplant. I know from experience how frustrating it is when the transplant is delayed.  My stem cell transplant for ALL was delayed by 4 months in 2013 as I reacted to one of the treatments I was on. I was put on to oral chemo and when I was well enough 4 months later they went ahead. 

It could be that the donor was simply unwell when it was time to harvest the cells. Your partners team should be able to give you more information. 

You could also try posting your question in the stem cell transplant forum which you can access HERE . You can simply copy and paste the post above after following the link. 

We also have an AML specific forum which you may ring useful HERE

Hopefully the transplant will go ahead soon and be a success.

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.