hot flushes after nephrectomy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 46 subscribers

I had my right kidney removed 6 weeks ago and apart from feeling a bit tired I'm fine.  However, I was wondering if anybody else has had hot flushes after their op.  I am 70 so they're not menopausal symptoms and I am having a hot flush about five times a day.  This has definitely happened since I had the op and I am just wondering if anybody else has experienced the same thing?

• Hello, I can't comment on your hot flushes as I'm going in to have my kidney out next Thursday, but today I have woken up and feel more anxious than usual!!, I'm worried about how I will cope on the day of the operation!!!, how will keep myself calm on the journey to the hospital and while waiting for the op?!!, any tips would be appreciated, I'm glad your feeling ok apart from the flushing.

Lisa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to lolly65

Hi Cressida.  

My Mum is 76. She has night sweats regularly and occasionally during the day.  We've asked consultants about this and whilst mostly ignored one of them said some cancer patients get sweats as a symptom they don't know why.

My mum has a change of night clothes with her every night.

Jx

• FormerMember

Hi Lisa,

Funnily enough I was fine on the day of the operation.  I was just glad to get in there and get it over and done with.  I don't know if it will be the same where you are going but I had to have drinks for the first five days before the op, they were like thin yoghurt, and then the night before and very early in the morning on the op day I had a powder that had to be dissolved in water.  I was dreading it but actually it was fine as the powder completely dissolved and it looked clear.  There was quite a bit going on when I arrived, no time to feel nervous really and they were all really kind.  

There are two things I would recommend you take.  The first is a packet of straws, just for the first day.  You will find it hard to sit up and one of those straws with a bendy top is a godsend.  The other thing, I took shower gel with me, but wished I'd had a bar of soap and a flannel for the first couple of days.  I couldn't get the stockings that they give you off, and nobody seemed that bothered, so I ended up with a sink of water so the shower gel wasn't ideal!  I had already been told that I could have a shower straight away, as soon as I felt able.

It was a bit painful the first few days but nothing you won't be able to cope with and they do give you plenty of pain relief.  I had my operation on a Thursday and I came out on Saturday morning.  Get whoever is picking you up to bring a cushion to put under the seatbelt.

I am now six weeks in and I started to feel a lot better after four weeks and definitely the last week I have felt all together miles better.  The only thing I would say is that I do get tired very easily.  Take something easy to wear.  I did take a couple of nighties because of the catheter, I thought PJs might be a nightmare, but actually I had the catheter out the day after the op.  If you want to ask anything feel free, I don't care what you ask.  Oh yes, if I were you, before you go in, get yourself some lactolose to keep indoors for when you get home.  It's a necessary evil!

Good luck, you will be fine.  By the way I had keyhole surgery, although the surgeon did say there was a possibility he wouldn't be able to do it, but thankfully that's what I had.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for replying Jenny.  I'm only getting the hot flushes during the day!  They're getting on my nerves!  I've just had the cancer removed, so fingers crossed that's not it.

• I've not been given anything to drink, all I've been told is nothing to drink or eat after midnight, I'm hoping I will be calm on the day cos I'm desperate for it to be over!!!, I'm praying for all of me and all of us that this will be the end of the nightmare we have found ourselves in!!, I read so many positive stories then some not so positive!!, I don't know if you've heard of a James Whale the journalist but he had a tumour the size of football removed in the year 2000 and is still telling the tale!!!, he's going into the big brother house tonight so will be interesting to see what he says, he does a lot of fund raising now.  I just wish I could get rid the anxiousness that seems to be getting worse before my op lol!!!!, thanks for the tips x

• FormerMember

Oh well lucky you not getting the drinks.  I think they do that as a matter of course where I was.  I think that if you are positive you will feel better to be honest.  Try not to get in a lather, you are bound to be nervous but honestly looking back it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.  I'm six weeks on and feel fine now.  I have done as I was told though and not gone mad too early, I thought it would be a bit daft so I've been good.  Don't let anybody be gloomy round you, if they are tell them they aren't doing you any good!  If yo9u think of anything else you want to know, ask.

• FormerMember

Just remembered someone along the way saying kidneys help regulate temperature. ..maybe your body is adjusting? Everyone is different. Post op my mum was tired for a few months.  Jx

• FormerMember

That;s interesting, we'll see.  Thanks.

Unknown said:

Just remembered someone along the way saying kidneys help regulate temperature. ..maybe your body is adjusting? Everyone is different. Post op my mum was tired for a few months.  Jx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had my L kidney removed 7 weeks ago and am 77! As well as hot flushes I have really bad night sweats so I'm not menopausal either. As these are also new, am not sure what to do next.

• FormerMember

Hi Benavista. 

My Mum and I have asked why this happens. She gets night sweats.  Nobody seems to know. We were told some people get them.  Maybe ask ..you may get a more helpful answer? Jennyx