hot flushes after nephrectomy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 47 subscribers

I had my right kidney removed 6 weeks ago and apart from feeling a bit tired I'm fine.  However, I was wondering if anybody else has had hot flushes after their op.  I am 70 so they're not menopausal symptoms and I am having a hot flush about five times a day.  This has definitely happened since I had the op and I am just wondering if anybody else has experienced the same thing?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I had my right kidney completely removed, with a 2 inch cancerous tumor on July, 30th, 2019 and I still get a hot flushed felling in my face many times a day.  I had the minimally invasive Laparoscopic surgery... Not the "open" surgery with the larger incision that takes longer to heal.  I'm 54 years old.  In addition to feeling flush and sleepy often,  I also feel like my muscles are very tired and sometimes even a little sore.  I also have to loose stools (#2, Bowel movements) frequently.  My surgeon says my symptoms would be very unusual for kidney cancer patience in his experience...so I've been doing all kinds of other medical testing, CT Scans and MRIs and everything appears to be normal.  I'm really frustrated.>>>I'm curious how many other people have had any of these symptoms after losing a kidney?  

• Hi ,

I don't recall having these symptoms post - op.

Mind you, I had a 9cm tumour removed by open surgery 14 years ago....

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Btw, can u put a bit in your profile, then it  saves u having to repeat yourself n folk know where you're "coming from"

Thanks

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi

Ask the helpline re your hot flushes post- nephrectomy

You can ring them 8am to 8pm 7:days a week

on 0808 808 0000

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I had night sweats before the op - definitely cancer related, but not flushes after - other than menopause related.

You're not on any treatment are you SeimDan? Flushes can be a side effect of pazopanib.

Which muscles are sore? All of them like flu? or core related? My core really struggled for a long time - so much so I slipped a disc in the April following my July op.

Sleepy is apparently normal. My surgeon said a roughly 2pm was to be expected for up to a year post op. I definitely had that dip, normally a bit later in the afternoon for me.

Bowel - could it be your tummy reacting to stress / worry?

It's so difficult to get past the idea that everything could be cancer related when it's sometimes simply not. It's a difficult fear to control, never mind conquer.

• I’m day 2 post op and have hot flushes all night long tonight. I’m only 33 so it’s not menopausal either. 

• Hi  it could well b a side effect of Pazopanib. Unless you're not yet on any treatment?

The other thing is,, hospitals are notoriously over heated.ccoild it simply b  that?