Five weeks post radiotherapy

• 13 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi everyone

It feels like ages since I have been on here. Anyway I thought I would give a quick update. As the title states I am five weeks out and doing remarkably well - better than expected. 

Positive points

• No longer on regular pain meds, I just take paracetamol/Ibuprofen as and when.
  • No longer need to use Fortisip.
  • Eating a more varied diet 
  • Going back to work on 12th August (phased return, cancer comes under the Disability Act)
  • Not suffering any major fatigue
  • Monthly rather than weekly appointments to see my cancer nurse
  • I have been told I don't need a follow up scan.

Work in progress

• Taste buds are still knackered, but whatever I am tasting now has become the new normal.
  • I have a very dry mouth which is worse on a morning ( I sleep with my mouth open #notpretty). This kicked in two weeks post RT. I guess it is just a waiting game to see if that improves?
  • I have a stiff/hard neck and a double chin. I am doing neck exercises to help improve movement etc.
  • Sleep is pants due to the dry mouth and tickly cough - I purchased a humidifier from some advice I found on this forum (Dani, Hazel, Peter) which has helped somewhat.

I feel as though I am moving in the right direction and I will remain positive for the future.

I am thankful for this forum, which has allowed me to work through this journey.  

I wish everyone well and thanks for reading Heart

Dawn x

• Hi Dawn. You’re doing remarkably well. 
    I have times when my mouth gets really dry at night so I tape it shut ( picture and explanation on my blog) 

Im surprised you’re not being offered a scan but if you’re happy with that then that’s fine. 
    Great update 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dawn

Positives show you are moving in the right direction....well on the way to recovery

Taste and appetite take time to improve...over one year in my taste and appetite is about 85% and still improving....lymphedema under my chin has greatly improved...massage....stiff neck still slightly annoying but oncology seem happy with state of play....dry mouth is worse in the morning improves as the day goes on....plenty of hydration...

Dental hospital oncology related appointment earlier today (first for 14 months)  Dentist happy with progress...impressions taken for Duraphat gum baths....back in a fortnight for fitting.....recovery takes time.

Take care and best of luck

Peter

• Hi Dawn, 5 weeks out, you are doing really well, so early in your recovery.  Your works in progress, will improve with time. 

Ray.

• I was surprised about the scan. I see the consultant at the end of August, so I will see what he says. Apparently the dissection removed all the cancer and the RT was just to improve outcomes?

• Thats good to hear Peter - you are on the mend and moving forward.

• Apparently the dissection removed all the cancer and the RT was just to improve outcomes?

If your surgeon is clear that the margins were good AND you had RT then it sounds sensible. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dawn great update well done. Dry mouth can be the side effect that stays with us I use xyimelts bought online even now 6 years out if I don’t my mouth is so dry in a morning. Surprised no scan are you on any trial. Hope you’re still seeing the consultant every 6 weeks or so.

make sure it’s not lymphoedema with your neck when you say double chin you may need to be given massage exercises check with nurses. or have they said that’s what you’ve got. Keep up the mouth and he exercises we need to do those for life. Good luck with phased wiirk return don’t over do it. 
    hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Sounds like you are doing really well. 

I find Biotine at night helps my mouth.  It coats the inside with a gel and although my saliva dries out it does help keep the tissue moist - for a few hours.  I normally have to have a drink and reaply during the night.

Try for a referral to your lymphoedema clinic as it sounds like that is the double chin issue. They will give you the correct massage techniques.  I had that at around your stage and now have got it under control so it is no longer and issue.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Thanks Hazel

I have had only one appointment following the end of RT - due to the progress I have made. I have a few appointments coming up so I will ask questions then.