Five weeks post radiotherapy

• 13 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi everyone

It feels like ages since I have been on here. Anyway I thought I would give a quick update. As the title states I am five weeks out and doing remarkably well - better than expected. 

Positive points

• No longer on regular pain meds, I just take paracetamol/Ibuprofen as and when.
  • No longer need to use Fortisip.
  • Eating a more varied diet 
  • Going back to work on 12th August (phased return, cancer comes under the Disability Act)
  • Not suffering any major fatigue
  • Monthly rather than weekly appointments to see my cancer nurse
  • I have been told I don't need a follow up scan.

Work in progress

• Taste buds are still knackered, but whatever I am tasting now has become the new normal.
  • I have a very dry mouth which is worse on a morning ( I sleep with my mouth open #notpretty). This kicked in two weeks post RT. I guess it is just a waiting game to see if that improves?
  • I have a stiff/hard neck and a double chin. I am doing neck exercises to help improve movement etc.
  • Sleep is pants due to the dry mouth and tickly cough - I purchased a humidifier from some advice I found on this forum (Dani, Hazel, Peter) which has helped somewhat.

I feel as though I am moving in the right direction and I will remain positive for the future.

I am thankful for this forum, which has allowed me to work through this journey.  

I wish everyone well and thanks for reading Heart

Dawn x

• That's so great to hear Dawn, you're doing brilliantly! Onwards & upwards - enjoy the summer!

Catriona

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story

• Well done, Dawn.  Sounds like you're doing brilliantly.  I'm sure it's fine but did they say why you don't need a follow up scan? I use Bioxtra mouthwash which helps with dry mouth (tried various sprays and gels too but found this mouthwash is best for me). 

Lisa x 

• Thanks Lisa. 

I was told they got all of the cancer out during the dissection and RT was being used 'just incase'. The analogy I was given was you can get rid of the weeds in the garden but there maybe a stray weed that could not be seen by the eye and it is precautionary to wipe out the whole area to stop the weed from growing.  I don't know why they just couldn't tell me without the analogy LOL.