Update - Cancer of the Nose and Upper Lip

• 171 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would update you on my progress so far.  It has been twelve months since my radio and chemo therapy treatment for the cancer.  I met with my oncologist last week and so far so good no sign of any cancer return.  I am due to have reconstructive surgery as I have no bone in my upper lip and the treatment has made my skin so tight, that I will need to have some more skin added.  I also have a hole in my palette as the radiotherapy made the skin flap break down, so that needs to be repeated.  I also have a brain anurysum and I have recently been informed that this is also returning after being coiled for at least 14 years.  However, the doctor at that hospital seems reluctant to carry out the surgery due to my recent cancer diagnosis. If I can have reconstructive surgery, surely I can have that surgery as well.  I am not surviving cancer to be killed by a brain anurysum (not sure of spelling).  I have a video consultation with the Brain Surgeon on Monday, so I will fight my corner for the surgery to go ahead.  I will let you know the outcome.  

Other than the above, I have been back at work since May, full time and enjoying life as much as possible.  I can eat a bit more now, but still not enough.  I still have a night feed and one ensure daily.  It's my birthday next week, this time last year I did not care about it, but this year, I have booked a table at a one of my favourite restaurants to have a small family get together.

Speak soon.

Take Care

LadyH66

• Whoops wrong button. I saw my Consultant in Wednesday and he has given me the all clear. I felt like someone had taken a lead weight off my head.  I have reconstructive surgery to have too.  I am having a CT Scan of my facial bones on the 24th September to check that they are ok for magnets.  The plastic surgery says sometimes radiotherapy softens your bones. Then I see my Consultant on the 12 October it was supposed to be longer but I think he is quite excited and of course the ct results should be ready. Yes my skin has gone tight too although my top lip has got pulled upwards in the middle, the Consultant hadn’t seen this before either. The plastic man said he had seen a lady exactly like me and I said what with the lip and he said yes.  So I said you will be good at it then!\ He will be taking skin from my wrist to do my face. I’m just praying my bones can support the magnets. I don’t know where you have found the energy to return to work, I have a severe lack of energy. But I developed type 2 diabetes too and the dr said my sugar was very high.  He gave name tablets but I started getting the really horrible sour belches so I stopped and they have gone off.  I need to try them again I might more energy. Good for you booking your meal out for your birthday. We have just had nothing all this time you deserve a treat.

Trish x
  • Hi Trish,

Thanks for your reply.  So glad you had the all clear too.  I had my magnets fitted when I went through initial surgery so I suppose I was fortunate about that.  I am totally wiped out each night after work but I am so glad to have some normality in my  life at the moment.  I hope your CT Scan goes okay and you can get the go ahead for your magnets to be fitted.

I will let you know the outcome of my video consultation that supposed to happen this afternoon.  I hope it doesn't get cancelled.

Take Care

Heather

Lady66H
  • Yes do let me know I have my fingers crossed for the magnets, they are the only thing that have kept me going.

Trish x
  • Hi Trish,

I had my video consultation with the Brain Surgeon and the good news is that he will put me forward for surgery to have the anurysm re-coiled.  According to him, its not that urgent yet, so I don't suppose it will be anytime soon.  That make's it two lots of surgery I waiting for god knows how long.  I am suppose to be having a tooth removed on 20 September, this has already been cancelled three times since June.  If it goes ahead, I will continually ring the consultant's secretary to try and get my surgery date.  If not, I will try PALS.

Let me know how your CT Scan goes and I hope you get your magnets, it's so much easier to just put your prostetic on and off when you like, for instance I have to remove it before I get in the shower as I have been told not to get my nose wet.  I don't know what will happen if I am out in the pouring rain lol.

Speak soon

Take Care

Heather

Lady66H
  • Hi Heather,

that’s good news, not the waiting about though. Let’s hope they all get their act together. Have you ever had cold since you have had no nose, as I think that is whatI have now.  I feel really terrible. I can feel lots of liquid but can’t get rid of it. I felt like I was going to drowned last night. I stayed in bed all day yesterday and I’m heading that way again.I think it started last Thursday, it’s a good job I got the all clear on Wednesday.

Trish x
  • That’s not all my message but it came up saying I had used a word which means I may be in danger. Not got a clue what it is. Anyway back to bed.

Trish x
  • Maybe drowned......forum software does that sometimes

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Trish,

Funny you should tell me you have a cold, my granddaughter has one  and I think I may have caught her germs, I have a slightly tickly sore throat and my nasal area is full of clear liquid, I need to clean it every night when I get home from work.  I feel awful, last night I fell a sleep straight from work and went to bed early, got up slightly late this morning.  This is the first cold I have had and it will be interesting to see how much extra cleaning I will need to do.  The problem I have is that I am in work all day, so cannot take my nose off and feel really stuffed by the end of the day.

What are we like hey.

Lady66H
  • Hi Trish,

Forgot to mention, I went for my breast screening yesterday, so hopefully that will come back all right.  Let you know in the next two weeks.

Cheers

Heather

Lady66H