Update - Cancer of the Nose and Upper Lip

• 171 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

I thought I would update you on my progress so far.  It has been twelve months since my radio and chemo therapy treatment for the cancer.  I met with my oncologist last week and so far so good no sign of any cancer return.  I am due to have reconstructive surgery as I have no bone in my upper lip and the treatment has made my skin so tight, that I will need to have some more skin added.  I also have a hole in my palette as the radiotherapy made the skin flap break down, so that needs to be repeated.  I also have a brain anurysum and I have recently been informed that this is also returning after being coiled for at least 14 years.  However, the doctor at that hospital seems reluctant to carry out the surgery due to my recent cancer diagnosis. If I can have reconstructive surgery, surely I can have that surgery as well.  I am not surviving cancer to be killed by a brain anurysum (not sure of spelling).  I have a video consultation with the Brain Surgeon on Monday, so I will fight my corner for the surgery to go ahead.  I will let you know the outcome.  

Other than the above, I have been back at work since May, full time and enjoying life as much as possible.  I can eat a bit more now, but still not enough.  I still have a night feed and one ensure daily.  It's my birthday next week, this time last year I did not care about it, but this year, I have booked a table at a one of my favourite restaurants to have a small family get together.

Speak soon.

Take Care

LadyH66

• Hi Heather, 

Thanks for your reply.  If this is cold I have/ or had it’s terrible. Sweat has been pouring out of me, especially on a night.  The liquid feels like a waterfall and inside my nose is very wet and really uncomfortable but not enough  to be able to clear it out. Had lots of really thick white stuff all over I suppose that’s could be what keeps our nose stuffed up when we have a nose.it was vert difficult to clear out.  Eventually giving up. Coming to sleep I have been in bed since Monday, I haven’t felt  this ill for a long time.  I hope yours is just the sniffles.  Fingers crossed for your breast screening, you are getting there girl,we can rebuild you haha..take care an let me know if you do get any worse with the cold, not that I want you to, it’s just any other symptoms you could develop.

I really hope you feel better now. I don’t want you to get anything else of my list 

we learn something every day 

Trish x
  • Hi Dani

thanks for your reply.  I don’t think it’s that as it won’t let me publish the reply while it is still in the message.  I thought it might be waterfall but I have just sent that in my message too.  I had not had anything come up like that before so was just interested.  A good idea for people shouting help though, a few more people ought to be aware for them.

Trish x
  • Hi Trish,

Sorry your cold is so bad, mine is more like the sniffles as you say, no other symptoms yet, so fingers crossed, it will go soon.  Its very hard to keep the nasal area clean as the best of times, but when you symptoms of a cold, its really hard, as you say this must be what gives you a blocked nose when you have one.  Never mind, we'll get there one day!

I don't blame you going to bed I wish I still had that option.  You take care of yourself.

Speak soon

Heather

Lady66H
  • Hi Heather, Hopefully I’m coming out the other side. I had a better night last night too. Not quite right but hopefully by tomorrow afternoon when Grandson 7 comes to play his new Nintendo switch game with his gaming grandma (new game grandma bought I might add) I do have a Nintendo switch too haha. He was coming after school on Wednesday but my daughter thought it would be better to give it a couple more days. I have to say I agree.

Have a good day at work, there are nothing like your work buddies for jollying you along. I hope the sniffs disappear too.

take care, 

Trish x
  • Hi Trish,

Hope you are feeling better now and had a successful gaming day with your grandson haha.  I had a good weekend as it was my birthday and my daughters birthday the day after, so we were out celebrating on Saturday.  Did nothing but sleep on Sunday though.  Back in work today, feeling tired with a long day ahead of me.  

Take Care

Speak Soon.

Heather

Lady66H
  • Hi Heather,

Belated happy birthday greetings.  So a good night was had by all, I’m really pleased you enjoyed getting that little bit of normal back with your family.  James did the gaming really this time as I still wasn’t feeling ready for Nintendo!  He was quite happy as his grandma had spoilt him and ordered the game he so needed……..haha it’s beyond me why he thinks I should have special gaming knowledge at my age “but I will teach you grandma, she I have a sleepover? That crept in sneakily and I just smiled. Up to this inconvenient illness I spent the first 18 months looking after James as my daughter who is a Police Officer wanted to return to work.  I enjoyed every minute of it.  He went off to nursery then so he had time with children and not just me. We  have always had a special bond I think because of that time and I went from Mammar to Grandma and he was grown. 7 years old in October, 4 days before mine.  Right I will let you workers get on with your day.  I am suffering with a lot of nerve pain in my face at the moment which is extremely painful so I’m wishing time on still.  Have a good day. 

Trish x
  • Hi Trish,

Thanks for the belated birthday greetings.  I love your special relationship with your grandson, grandchildren are so different to your own and as a nan, you can't help but spoil them can you.  I have five grandchildren, so unfortunately, it costs me haha.  My feeding tube fell out on Monday, whilst I was in my colleagues office, she nearly fainted, so funny to me as I am used to it and its not the first time it has fallen out but no joke to her.  So I had to leave work and go to my local Accident and Emergency to have it put back in.  It was really really busy, but I did not wait long as it has to be put back in within a certain time frame.  I am sore now.

Hope your feeling better.

Speak soon

Heather

Lady66H
  • Good morning Heather,

im feeling much better today. Still a bit tired but I have been like it since I started this path. Plus getting the type 2 diabetes hasn’t helped at all.  It’s very expensive being a grandma, I have four 3 boys and at girl!  The eldest is 17 in November, next one 14 April and Scarlett the young one will be 6 in January. They all belong to my son. James as I said belongs to my daughter. When Scarlett came along I ended up with both young ones to look after. But it was getting too much and now I know why, I would never of thought of nasal cancer in a million years!! I’m just starting birthdays this month as there is only 2 the first half of the year and then another 6 coming up and then Christmas.  Oh dear I bet there faces were amazing to see haha I remember this bloke who said he was in Asda and his nose came off whilst packing his bag, he said I didn’t  know who was more shocked.  I just picked it back up and glued it back there haha 

Miserable today here. I bet you are at work now I’m really jealous says Mrs Pinocchio..

Have a good day.

Trish x
  • hi Lady66h

so pleased to hear your scans are good.  Obviously not good about the brain anurysm.  Amazing you are back to work so soon and you feel well enough to book that restaurant.  Have a lovely time on your birthday. Sending you all good wishes. 
    lizzie

• Hi Lizzie,

Thanks for the good wishes.  Had a lovely birthday with family.  I am back in work to give myself a bit of normality, but still feel very tired at the end of the day.  

Hope your treatment is going okay and your not feeling too sick or tired.

Let me know how you are getting on.

Regards

Heather

Lady66H