Week 8 post treatment for tonsillar cancer

• 13 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Post treatment Week 8  Well, at last this has been a much better week.  The ulceration around my tonsil and tongue is noticeably less, although it’s still sore. I still gargle regularly with a bicarbonate of soda and salt solution am now just taking ibuprofen three times a day, half an hour before meals, and this seems to work well. I am mainly conscious of any soreness when I yawn or swallow. That constant background pain has now pretty much gone. I have slight toothache and jaw ache from time to time around the target area, but I’m keeping my cool and assuming it’s referred pain only.

I’m stepping up the neck and shoulder exercises, as I was getting a bit stiffer last week. I’ve tried wearing a Hereford collar for the lymphodema under my chin and that seems to be helping too.  Although it always returns after a few hours it is increasingly less obvious, so hopefully over time it’ll reduce significantly. (Wearing the collar out on walks is quite nice as it keeps my neck warm.)

The better weather has certainly lifted my spirits and I find I’m keen to do normal things again, like gardening, fixing my scooter and building bird boxes, so that’s a positive. This time before my big scan (early May) is precious as I can just enjoy feeling a little better bit by bit and not fret about outcomes. Unfortunately my bowels are still a law unto themselves.  Quite loose and, maddeningly, exacerbated by walking. Luckily my daily walks are in the countryside and so I’m getting to know the local hedgerows and woods quite close up and personal. It is a nuisance though as it is just so urgent and unpredictable. 

I am eating more solid foods now, although I’m careful not to be too ambitious as something as innocuous sounding as carrot cake or brown rice can set me back again. Sweet potato is a staple food still, as are porridge, tagliatelle, well boiled veg, tinned fish, soups, ice cream and custard.

I’m still getting a very dry mouth at night and have resorted to sleeping pills (Zopiclone) three times this week just to get an uninterrupted night’s sleep. I have various sprays but nothing lasts for very long. Milk or water are still the best relief for me, albeit temporary.

So, overall it’s been a positive week. I’m not out of the woods yet by any means, but looking back over the past eight weeks progress has been noticeable, albeit forwards and backwards at times.

I hope this helps anyone following along.

• Lovely post Marc. 
    So good to see you improving and better still being kinder to yourself. 
    Time to get stuck into the acupuncture? Or should I say get the acupuncture stuck into you. Worked wonders for my saliva and I still keep it up 2 years later. 
    All the best 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Marc can only agree with Dani acupuncture did wonders for my saliva.  Although night time  is still dryish when I wake I still use xyimelt s. Yes baby steps and some days  2 forward 1 back. Progress even j. Small amounts  is positive for anyone still to start treatment. Good  news always helps. Now at 30 month I don’t think about saliva  but totally get where you are at it’s  early days things will get better. 
    now hedgerows remind me ehh h county to avoid when we are free to roam that us !! 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Marc

Sounds like you're doing really well - thanks for the positive post.  It really will help others who are following along behind in their treatment.

I always find it best when trying a new food to have a very small portion at first to assess the reaction - usually nicked off someone elses plate.  If my throat and mouth etc still feel OK after a few hours I might then try a bit more.  You have to very disciplined though......

Linda x   

• Hi Marc

I was just saying in one of the other threads how much I found auricular acupuncture helped me with the dry mouth problem. I would definitely give it a go.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Thanks Sophie. Appreciated Thumbsup

• Hi, MarkEL

Have you tried Biotene for your dry mouth at night? I contacted my GP to ask to try some different dry mouth treatments because the ones from the hospital were not working and he gave me Biotene gel which I put on my tongue at night just as I go to bed. I still get a dry mouth but nowhere near as bad as I did and I've even started being able to sleep on my back some of the night too. It's worth asking your GP to try some alternatives as there are plenty out there.

• Thank you. I’ll try anything! I’ve even tried sleeping with a clothes peg clasped to my right ear in an attempt to mimic acupuncture, but I just kept waking up with a sore earlobe as well as a dry throat!!

• Mark have you re-tried the xylimelts? i seem to remember they didnt help you a few weeks ago, they didnt help me at first either, but they do work now that i have a bit more saliva...the biggest issue is how many i get through!

I also use oralieve mouthwash at night, from what i can tell it is exactly the same ingredients as bioextra- but its about 1/3 the price when you look at the size of the bottle

Trev

• Not yet Trev. I’ll give them another go tonight.
    Some good news - I didn’t need any painkillers yesterday, nor today yet. I’m very wary of famous last words, but fingers crossed it’s another corner turned.
    Cheers Thumbsup

• I also use oralieve mouthwash at night, from what i can tell it is exactly the same ingredients as bioextra- but its about 1/3 the price when you look at the size of the bottle

Now that’s really interesting. Thanks for the tip. I do get 2 bottles of BioXtra on script every month but use more. 
    I shall have a go at that. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge