Week 8 post treatment for tonsillar cancer

• 13 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Post treatment Week 8  Well, at last this has been a much better week.  The ulceration around my tonsil and tongue is noticeably less, although it’s still sore. I still gargle regularly with a bicarbonate of soda and salt solution am now just taking ibuprofen three times a day, half an hour before meals, and this seems to work well. I am mainly conscious of any soreness when I yawn or swallow. That constant background pain has now pretty much gone. I have slight toothache and jaw ache from time to time around the target area, but I’m keeping my cool and assuming it’s referred pain only.

I’m stepping up the neck and shoulder exercises, as I was getting a bit stiffer last week. I’ve tried wearing a Hereford collar for the lymphodema under my chin and that seems to be helping too.  Although it always returns after a few hours it is increasingly less obvious, so hopefully over time it’ll reduce significantly. (Wearing the collar out on walks is quite nice as it keeps my neck warm.)

The better weather has certainly lifted my spirits and I find I’m keen to do normal things again, like gardening, fixing my scooter and building bird boxes, so that’s a positive. This time before my big scan (early May) is precious as I can just enjoy feeling a little better bit by bit and not fret about outcomes. Unfortunately my bowels are still a law unto themselves.  Quite loose and, maddeningly, exacerbated by walking. Luckily my daily walks are in the countryside and so I’m getting to know the local hedgerows and woods quite close up and personal. It is a nuisance though as it is just so urgent and unpredictable. 

I am eating more solid foods now, although I’m careful not to be too ambitious as something as innocuous sounding as carrot cake or brown rice can set me back again. Sweet potato is a staple food still, as are porridge, tagliatelle, well boiled veg, tinned fish, soups, ice cream and custard.

I’m still getting a very dry mouth at night and have resorted to sleeping pills (Zopiclone) three times this week just to get an uninterrupted night’s sleep. I have various sprays but nothing lasts for very long. Milk or water are still the best relief for me, albeit temporary.

So, overall it’s been a positive week. I’m not out of the woods yet by any means, but looking back over the past eight weeks progress has been noticeable, albeit forwards and backwards at times.

I hope this helps anyone following along.

• There are some minor differences dani, but the oralieve definitely works as well for me

Ingredients here (top is bioextra, bottom is oralieve) . I found biotene didnt help me, only bioxtra and oralieve work for me

__

Bioxtra

Aqua, propylene glycol, xylitol, poloxamer 407, sodium monofluorophosphate, sodium benzoate, hydroxyethylcellulose, whey extract, Aroma, lactoferrin, lysozyme, glucose oxidase, Aloe barbadensis, EDTA.

Oralieve

Aqua, Glycerin, Xylitol, Sodium Fluoride 225ppm, Poloxamer 407, Sodium Benzoate, Monosodium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Aroma, Disodium Phosphate, Benzoic Acid, Whey Protein, Lactoferrin, Lactoperoxidase, Potassium Thiocyanate, Glucose Oxidase

• Dani, do you know how much fluoride the BioXtra contains?

• Hi

its 1500 ppm 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge