Starting a journey!

• 14 replies
  • 147 subscribers

Hello all! I see this is based in the UK but I'm 'oer in the US/Wisconsin.. 56 and after CT, PET, 3 biopsies was diagnosed Stage 2 Squamous Cell Carcinoma in my soft back throat palate. I will be starting radiation 2X day for 7 wks... Got fitted for the groovy mask last wk, just waiting for the schedule. 

Please note, I do have a sense of humor as you kind of have to. Thanks for having me! 

• Happily married to my wonderful husband of 30 yrs and geez... I do everything to make him not worry. In fact, I totally play it down... Don't want to be pittied or anything. Anyhoo... I'm scared of course, but know I have to do it... Ugh. I think once I start treatment and after a few wks and the painage sets in I'll feel like it's real.. Make sense? Hard to know, really how I will handle it.... TX for the ear! 

• Hi and welcome. 
    Yes. This is all very scary and extremely challenging but I have seen hundreds of folk come and go, cured, in these pages in the six years I’ve been here. 
    Stay with us and we can hold your hand. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Happymonkie,

Welcome to our friendly support group.
    Im 57 primary was T4 tonsil cancer HPV+spread to base of tongue activity in left tonsil plus several lymphs in right side of neck. What your experiencing is what most of us find the scariest part and thankfuly many of us find once the actual treatment starts the fear lessens x

Make sure you have someone to speak to about how you are feeling I tried to shelter my husband and sons from as much as possible but I had my Mum my two best fiends ,Dani and Hazel and this wonderful group to support me with their lived experience, and advice .

You are not alone, there is always someone here to answer any questions or just listen to how your feeling x

Keep your sense of humour and buckle up for the roller coaster ride which lays ahead ….but know it will stop eventualy leaving you battered and dishreveled but also hopefuly cured x

Debbie

• Hi & good to meet you.  Glad you have found a "sensible" site for help and advice.  I tried some of the FaceBook H&N sites which are mainly US orientated and found them full of doom and gloom.  Here it is positive support.  You are allowed to moan and groan when you need to and just shout when you need some help.

I found it useful to sit down with my family and tell them what I thought my journey would be like so they had an understanding of how I was feeling.  I think it helped them.

We also have a TV program on catchup.  Not sure if you can get it in the USA - may need a VPN - Watch Rhod Gilbert: A Pain in the Neck for SU2C | Stream free on Channel 4  Many of my family and friends found it useful to watch to get an insight.  He does minimise the really bad bits..

Anyway, stay with us and looking forward to being able to compare treatments across The Pond

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Happymonkie

Welcome to the group

T2N1M0 HPV16+ tonsil cancer finished Chemoradio June 2023...age 69

It is natural to be scared, we all were/are...and a sense of humour (sometimes dark) certainly does help during the treatment.

The treatment itself is very challenging though some patients do get off relatively lightly with the side effects.

Do you have a feeding tube fitted? they can help greatly with recovery.

My lovely wife was my rock all through the treatment journey, kept me going, coaxed me to eat and regain lost weight, helped me get through the toughest of days....even when I was being irrational and difficult.

Keep the forum updated on your progress, plenty of sound advice and support from others who are gong through or have been through similar treatment

Take care and best of luck

Peter

• Hi and welcome to this forum. I'm fairly new to this site also and have found it wonderful. The advice given is excellent and true to form. The experience on here from the lovely people has really helped calm me when I'm worried about things plus it's full of tips about what products etc to use. I too tried an American site given to me by a health professional and it scared the life out of me as it was doom and gloom with nothing but bad news and I removed myself from it. Good luck with your treatment and take care xx

• Hi love your name yes we all try to play it down for our others half’s I’m 6 years post chemo radiotherapy any uestions just shout someone will try to answer 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• WOW!!! I feel so loved!!! Thank you guys!!! Hope you see this as a new comment! I can certainly respond to each post if not!! Awe!!!!Blush

• I can certainly respond to each post if not!! Awe!!!!

No need 

everyone can see it 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • No need to respond to all, just ask anything,  come on for a chat, always someone about 

Peter