Suffering long term side effects from radical radiography and chemo. (It's tough)

• 21 replies
  • 137 subscribers

Hi and Hello 

I had tonsil cancer in 2018 .I went through 30 days of radiation treatment and 6 chemo sessions. 6 years on I'm cancer Fred. 

I am really suffering from the late effects of radiation . I struggle swelling food . I get cramp on both sides of my neck and chronic pain in my bones in my shoulder blades , ball socket and in my neck . Both ears and in my head . Some days  I don't no what I'm doing .my head is blank a lot . It's so hard . I had to contact a cancer nurse yesterday as I was really low in mood and I kept thinking that the cancer had come back. I suffer from health anxiety all the time . Just need to share and talk sometime.

• Hi Barry. So sorry that you aren’t getting the aftercare you obviously need. My cancer was diagnosed in 2018 and I am discharged from routine review with manageable side effects. I still religiously do my trismus and swallow/jaw exercises as fibrosis is a lifelong problem. 

It sounds as if you need some physio and some proper direction from a late effects clinic. Many hospitals have them. Whereabouts are you? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks for reply . I am lined up for physio . On waiting list . I was told about exercise s I will try and remember them each  day . I will do them alongside my stretches that I do . 

Thanks again 

Ps I'm in Bridlington 

• Hi Barry

Sorry to hear you having such a rough time. It's no wonder you have health anxiety.  I have had two Malignant Melanomas (which were removed, along with mass muscle tissue) and now I have cancer in my tonsil and my left neck lymph node.  Luckily for me the Melanomas were removed around 30 years ago and we have caught my tonsil cancer early enough that (hopefully) I should only need surgery.  But my point is, even after the success of the Melanoma surgery, and, hopefully, a fairly simple surgery for the throat.  I still have health anxiety and am always thinking, is it cancer again.  It is normal.  However, I have found great comfort from the good people on this support forum who knows exactly what we are all going through.  Sending you virtual hugs.

Hazel x

• Thank you Hazel for your helpful and kind message . I was told about this forum yesterday from a nurse and already it is helping. I really hope your tonsil cancer goes when you go through the treatment . Will say a pray for you.  Please keep us informed . God bless Hazel and thanks again 

Barry

• Ps I'm in Bridlington

Were you treated in Hull? It’s worth contacting them to see if there is a late effects clinic. 
      Hazel. Is there a late effects clinic in Leeds? 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Berry, yes, I will come on and tell you how it went.  I am very optimistic after hearing from everyone on here, it's been a blessing.

Take care Barry, I'm sure we will 'speak' again.

God bless you too.

Hazel x

• Yes treated in Cottingham hull 

• Thanks Hazel.

Take care . I'm sure you will be okay 

Barry 

• Yes treated in Cottingham hull 

Is there a Maggie’s near you. It’s worth having a look at going to see if they can help your anxiety. 
    Also the mouth cancer foundation have weekly online support group meetings on a Monday. I can give you a link if you are interested. I pop in now and then to say hello 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Sadly no Nottingham is the nearest. They are trying g but it’s all about the money. 
    hxx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help