Newbie - just finished treatment

• 42 replies
  • 142 subscribers

Hi all,

Been following the discussions for some time but this is my first time posting, just wanted to share my experience of my treatment journey ( I know everyone's experience is different).

I was diagnosed with T2N1M0 HPV16+ tonsil cancer (right) in March 2024 (just a couple of weeks after my 40th birthday, I had been hoping for a wee holiday abroad as a surprise), got both my tonsils removed the middle of April and started chemo/radiotherapy start of June.

I had my 35th and last radiotherapy session on Friday and managed to cope with 6 rounds of chemotherapy (cisplatin) apparently I have been given the gold standard treatment (never been that successful at anything so to get gold makes me quite proud).

I think that I have been quite lucky with my treatment in terms of side effects (fingers crossed that continues) in that up until my final week I had been able to cope pain wise on 2 paracetamol before bed. I lost my sense of taste towards the end of my second week and around that time my mouth started getting very dry. My diet started changing and most foods became quite difficult to eat due to dry mouth and I slowly moved to a softer food intake. The gels and mouthwash definitely helped. My current diet is 3 2cal shakes a day with a pro-cal hit in each, Weetabix for breakfast with milk, potatoes and lots of gravy for dinner and custard and glass of milk for supper. The past week though my ulcers have got worse and the secretions are making me cough and gag alot (using mucodyne syrup which works) but all in all the worst thing I have experienced pain wise was getting my tonsils out. Chemo days were long but I found the most difficult part of it to be dealing with the effects of the steroids, I just couldn't sleep for a few days after.

My once glorious beard is no more due to the radiotherapy but it's a small hopefully temporary price to pay. It's now just the waiting game until my 12 week scan.

As I say, I know everyone's experience is different but just wanted to share my own to show people that not everyone will go through the worst of the side effects.

• Hi yes our treatment carries the title of gold standard treatment. All I can add is it does have an excellent cure rate. As many of us on here can testify. Treatment continues to work for a few weeks after so you may start to feel worse than you did last week but it does eventually get better slowly. Thanks for yiur input we all react differently there’s no one  size fits all. Our treatment is tailored individually and our recovery’s the same.  Week 8 into recovery I flew tomSpain for 3 weeks and did gentle bike rides. Now happily riding 60 km .

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• I joined Head and Neck Cancer Facebook groups when hubby was first diagnosed too and they really depressed me so I had to leave! It's much better on here. I hope all goes well with your treatment. 

• Hi McRandom

Fabulous news that you and your body did so well during treatment I hope it continues through your recoveryFingers crossed.

Its lovely to read the different experiences from people  and yours is very uplifting ( especially new people on the group).

We are all unique individuals with different H&N cancers , from T1-T4 some with spread some not , and our treatment plans are as unique as how our bodies tolerate/react to treatment but we all have the same goal to hopefully irradiate the cancer and enjoy our lives again.

Waiting for scans months after treatment is tough …but hold on to the great response that many of us have (with HPV related cancer).

Wishing you all the best

Debbie

• He may continue to do well. I was fortunate in that I coped well throughout with barely any painkillers needed and mostly at night .  I only realised recently that  I only took half the prescribed paracetamol dosage. Never read the directions properly.  Good luck with his journey .  I’m 7 months post treatment 

• Yup what’s with the hiccups?  Me too. Joy

• You've done really well!  It sounds like your recovery will be quick. Wishing you a great summer and the all-clear soon! 

Catriona

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story

• When I was diagnosed , my son who works works with MRI’s said “mom keep away from all groups and don’t google , they’ll just make you feel worse “. I listened and only joined here once I was in recovery 

• When I was diagnosed , my son who works works with MRI’s said “mom keep away from all groups and don’t google , they’ll just make you feel worse “. I listened and only joined here once I was in recovery 

Lots of us need help through treatment so it’s good that you’re here to help them through. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Yes Dani, I love to help now. During treatment I withdrew into myself. Very few people knew what I was going through and protected my privacy . Literally no one came to our home. Once done I said to my nurse I’d  love to give back what was given to me. How can I do it and she suggested I join the forum. I’ve also spoken to ENT students about my journey and answered their  questions 

• . During treatment I withdrew into myself. Very few people knew what I was going through and protected my privacy .

I sympathise

We all have our ways to cope 

I  avoided everybody. My oncologist reminded me at my last ever review what a miserable pessimist I was after treatment. I was prepared and in self defence mode. That’s all. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge