Newbie - just finished treatment

• 42 replies
  • 142 subscribers

Hi all,

Been following the discussions for some time but this is my first time posting, just wanted to share my experience of my treatment journey ( I know everyone's experience is different).

I was diagnosed with T2N1M0 HPV16+ tonsil cancer (right) in March 2024 (just a couple of weeks after my 40th birthday, I had been hoping for a wee holiday abroad as a surprise), got both my tonsils removed the middle of April and started chemo/radiotherapy start of June.

I had my 35th and last radiotherapy session on Friday and managed to cope with 6 rounds of chemotherapy (cisplatin) apparently I have been given the gold standard treatment (never been that successful at anything so to get gold makes me quite proud).

I think that I have been quite lucky with my treatment in terms of side effects (fingers crossed that continues) in that up until my final week I had been able to cope pain wise on 2 paracetamol before bed. I lost my sense of taste towards the end of my second week and around that time my mouth started getting very dry. My diet started changing and most foods became quite difficult to eat due to dry mouth and I slowly moved to a softer food intake. The gels and mouthwash definitely helped. My current diet is 3 2cal shakes a day with a pro-cal hit in each, Weetabix for breakfast with milk, potatoes and lots of gravy for dinner and custard and glass of milk for supper. The past week though my ulcers have got worse and the secretions are making me cough and gag alot (using mucodyne syrup which works) but all in all the worst thing I have experienced pain wise was getting my tonsils out. Chemo days were long but I found the most difficult part of it to be dealing with the effects of the steroids, I just couldn't sleep for a few days after.

My once glorious beard is no more due to the radiotherapy but it's a small hopefully temporary price to pay. It's now just the waiting game until my 12 week scan.

As I say, I know everyone's experience is different but just wanted to share my own to show people that not everyone will go through the worst of the side effects.

• Awh bless you Dani, I have some days where I feel low reading posts that friends and family are out and about, having holidays and living life. I try to get out for walks and keep myself occupied. I'mwaiting for the time when this treatment is over and start projects that I want to do. Last year I did a bee keeping course which I thoroughly enjoyed and had plans to start this year Bee setting it all up, I love my wildlife and garden so that what makes me happy.

Hope you are doing ok at the moment I'm getting on alright, no side effects as of yet but still early days. I have a little sore throat with a little hoarseness but mainly in the morning or when I hRolling eyese been chatting too much Rolling eyes 

Sarah xxx

• Hope you are doing ok at the moment

Bit of a milestone today. 
    I can eat an apple with the skin on! Only taken me five years to avoid peeling it. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani well done, apples are still out of reach for me with skin on. I’m okay peeling them in the same with pears. Hope you enjoyed it. bit I can  eat cheese and crackers no Problem

There’s no one size fits all  

Hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• That’s brilliant. The last time I tried Apple with skin, the skin stuck in my throat. I’ve not tried Apple again. I find the act of biting into fruit puts  my teeth on edge. A lot of fruit tastes tart especially strawberries.  I’m at the dentist today and will ask what I can do about that. I’m using special fluoride toothpaste but don’t find it’s helping 

• Hi Des 

I had my first Dundee Dental Hospital oncology appointment since finishing Chemoradio last year....lengthy session...all seems good....I had impressions done  for Duraphat gum baths...to help with teeth and gum care ...back next week for fitting....

Peter

• Thank you Peter. I didn’t know that there would be one. Good to know 

What did they all do? X-rays etc? 

• In for 1.5 hours....Just a thorough examination, loads of questions, mouth opening measurements, impressions taken (not a brilliant experience, but tolerable) X-rays were spoken about but nothing concrete planned.....dental staff  were first class.

Peter

•  I’m at the dentist today and will ask what I can do about that

I think it’s just time. I’ve always managed Apple, just had to peel it. A year before I could eat oranges but mango was ok much earlier. Pineapple still difficult. I do find the fruit less sweet than my husband does. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you Peter. I then should have mine around January - March. I see the hygienists  every three months as well as the dentist every 6  months. 

I really like the staff and the oral surgeon is tops. Such good treatment from them all 

• Dani, I agree about the fruit being less sweet. Either that or tart. A lot, especially melons are pretty tasteless but I eat them anyway. Not tried pineapple yet. Tinned peaches were ok. I’ll try apple again.