Trying real food

• 30 replies
  • 141 subscribers

Hi everyone

I am looking for ways to support my sister - 10 weeks after chemo and radio. She has an NG tube and had started food trials. After 3 weeks of an upset stomach, she still has stomach pain and cant ring herself to eat or drink. Back to the GP tomorrow altho the poo sample came back showing nothing. She does not eat dairy or anything that looks like dairy!

• Hi  
    I had an NG for 8 weeks and I know how she feels  it’s not easy to get eating again especially if you can’t tolerate dairy  

Your sister is still in the care of her hospital. I would by pass the GP and contact her CNS to arrange an appointment with her oncologist and dietician. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Occlusion

Getting back to eating is difficult, unfortunately it takes grit & determination. It is a case of trying things & seeing what works BUT what works today may not work tomorrow.

The good news is that things do get better!

Keep it up - you WILL get there. x

• Getting back to eating is difficult, unfortunately it takes grit & determination. It is a case of trying things & seeing what works BUT what works today may not work tomorrow.

I had rediscovered my liking for Steak Pie....now I find it tasteless....strange

Peter

• I feel your pain, I'm 3 months post treatment, I have days where I think, brilliant I can get rid of this peg soon.

Next day I literally cough or struggle to swallow anything. 

It's difficult to not feel disheartened, but then I just think how far I've actually come, and reach for the fortisip, try again tomorrow

• I had rediscovered my liking for Steak Pie....now I find it tasteless....strange

The worst thing I found was that the first two mouthfuls of food tasted wonderful then the rest tasted of nothing 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Lee

T2N1M0 HPV16+ Tonsil cancer.... finished Chemoradio June 2023

I'm one year post treatment, PEG was inserted 11th April 2023 came out mid September 2023...I hated Ensure 2cal but put up with them until I could manage real food....taste and appetite eventually return, I'm about 85% now....still improving....

Trial and error with food....can drink most things....love alcohol free Guinness...

Peter

• Hi occlusion 

Glad you could join us to help support your Sister.

I hope the GP( or her team at hospital) can support her with getting enough fluids and nutrients. She may need some antisickness and IV fluids to replace the ones she has lost.If you are concerned after your GP appointment I would cal her CSN asap to discuss

Sadly it takes some of us a long time to recover and eating , drinking and swallowing is very difficult.Swallow and taste are affected by treatment and takes some time to return for most people

I couldn’t eat or drink anything for months , some days I can manage soup other days it’s impossible.

I look at my peg as an essential part of me and know that when(if) my body can cope it will be safe to have it removed untill then I drink 2 fresbuin (like fortysips) trifles ( the only thing I can eat everyday)spaghetti hoops vanilla ice cream and the occassional soup when I can tolerate them .

It can be very frustrating but there will be good days(maybe weeks) and bad ones . 

Never give up hope x

Debbie

• Hi Lee,

Its really tough and very frustrating but every day stop and think how far you have come and how amazing that you made it through treatment!

Im a world away from where I was at 3mths post treatment , you will get there too but sadly its a long slow process.

I still have good days bad but thankfully more good days .

When your feeling disheartened know that many people on here have been where you are right now and are back to eating and drinking once again.Fingers crossed

Debbie

• I had a peg in for about 9 months

I started eating after about 2 weeks, ice cream, jelly, pureed food, Weetabix and just before being discharged was even on backed potatoes and cottage pies.

I had to be readmitted, so increased my Fortisips through my peg and during my 7 weeks of radiotherapy I effectively decided to stop eating and just rely on Fortisips and overnight feeds.

Even after my treatment had finished I was still only having Fortisips, eventually in a mug rather than via my Peg and for the next 3 months was just living on Fortisips (either though my peg or drinking them)

I actually enjoyed that time, I was barely eating anything but having at least 8 Fortisips a day and a couple of mugs of Nesquik

I did lose a bit too much weight and eventually started eating again.

If your sister has a PEG and doesn't feel like eating yet I wouldn't worry or pressurise her, that's basically why she has the PEG

Made it to Christmas, made it to my birthday, had a nice summer, made it to my 2nd (and 3rd) Christmas now writing a blog about my treatment - https://www.1in1440.co.uk/april-2018-you-have-cancer/
  • I’ve gone off all meat and chicken.  Occasional piece of bacon.  I prefer vegetarian patties. They taste good. Meat to me now is as good as the gravy it accompanies.