Biopsy on lump on tongue

• 59 replies
  • 129 subscribers

Hi 

I'm sorry if I shouldn't be here as I've not been told I have cancer but I'm so worried I might.

I'm 41 healthy non smoker and I've had a large strange shape red lump on my tongue for 3 months. It's not changing but not going becoming very painful also sore throat for about the sam

e time.

Also there is a small white lump under it. Gp tried me with antibiotics and oral thrush medication which didn't work. Bypass couple weeks I had a biopsy which has been extremely painful on day 10 only now managing to eat and talk properly.

I guess I'm here for support or if above symptoms anyone had. I've got yo wait 2 weeks for results which will be Tuesday 26th but no appointment yet. Sure its nothing maybe some type of trauma but why there so long and why the constant sore throat. 

Very anxious family are worried and I have 2 very young children. 

• Hi Tigerlily

So sorry to hear of your worries re possible cancer. Unfortunately nothing can be done until you get the results of the biopsy. The waiting is excruciating but all you can do is try and keep really busy to help take your mind off it. Once you have the results of the biopsy at least you know what is going on and what action needs to be taken.Fingers crossed it is not cancer but if the worst happens just to let you know that when caught early head and neck cancers are very treatable and have a high cure rate. Stay with the forum as people on it have a wealth of experience and will help and guide you through any treatment and give you moral support.

Hang in there we're here for you.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Hi  

Waiting is awful but at least you are being investigated. We imagine all sorts and remember 90% of referrals are not cancer 

Fingers crossed. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks so much for your response. I know I should keep positive as I'm usually an optimistic person but this has worried me.

I'm trying to keep busy until I know i originally thought if was bad news i would know soon but i dont think this is the case, seems to be a standard 2 week wait?. my husband is such a worrier too.

I'll keep you posted thanks for your support. Hopefully few days I'll be out if my misery 

• Hu the waiting’s the worst part all yiu can do is try to keep busy. There’s a process in the biopsy’s and that can’t be rushed so easy to say hard to do try not to worry all yiu will do is make yourself feel worse. 

hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• If anyone involved in the equation is worried you will probably get a call sooner than later. Depending on the NHS region/standards if they were concerned I’d expect that you would be sent for a PET scan. A PET involves you being injected with a low dose of radioactive isotopes, for some reason they ‘cling’ to cancer cells and show up exactly on a scan. As previously said; so many oral anomalies are benign or can be related to oral hygiene changes or infections etc.

Reevsey
  • Thanks for your message & everyone else. I know I'm very confident it's nothing as I'm very healthy but I guess it's that little devil on my shoulder saying well it could be.

I mean I agree I surely would have heard now if they really thought it was cancer. Its 2 weeks tomorrow & I'll chase up Wednesday if not heard. Would like to know before Easter as its the not knowing. 

I've had invisalign treatment since last July so I can't help thinking it's linked...the consultant didn't say was. I also had a white patch in same place few years back which in back of my mind too.

Hopefully I'll ge back know here few days with happy news 

• Well I've just rang the hospital my results haven't come back yet over 2 weeks now.

My consultant is on annual leave for the next 2 weeks but left with someone else & to call back end of next week. So that's my Easter ruined I'm going away with my children so how can I enjoy.

I feel like crying my eyes out in frustration how can they keep people waiting so long. Is this normal? I'm under Morriston hospital in Swansea. 

I guess surely if it was serious I would know now??

• Hi  

I was treated at Morriston and Singleton hospitals. Two weeks is about the best we can expect these days and there is likely to be a hold up at the path lab. It’s rotten but that’s what’s happening now. Add to that any results have to be discussed at the weekly MDT which adds to the wait. 
    Who is your consultant at the Morriston? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks for your messsge i feel like im going mad :(

Yes it's awful isn't it. I'm with Dr kittur in morriston. He advised last week should get results this week.

I've heard of mdt meetings do you know when they have them? Agreed they can delay again. 

I was hoping the no news is good news as keeping us waiting if it is serious would be terrible. 

• Is it easy; no! Is it unfair; yes! It’s fair to say that if anything sinister that needed immediate attention was observed you’d like to think you’d get a call really quickly?! Service varies across the British Isles unfortunately but try to have faith in the process. Enjoy your break…

Reevsey