Biopsy on lump on tongue

• 70 replies
  • 131 subscribers

Hi 

I'm sorry if I shouldn't be here as I've not been told I have cancer but I'm so worried I might.

I'm 41 healthy non smoker and I've had a large strange shape red lump on my tongue for 3 months. It's not changing but not going becoming very painful also sore throat for about the sam

e time.

Also there is a small white lump under it. Gp tried me with antibiotics and oral thrush medication which didn't work. Bypass couple weeks I had a biopsy which has been extremely painful on day 10 only now managing to eat and talk properly.

I guess I'm here for support or if above symptoms anyone had. I've got yo wait 2 weeks for results which will be Tuesday 26th but no appointment yet. Sure its nothing maybe some type of trauma but why there so long and why the constant sore throat. 

Very anxious family are worried and I have 2 very young children. 

• Mr Kittur was my surgeon too. I think MDTs there meet on a Wednesday. I know he does clinics on a Thursday so maybe try again tomorrow and Tuesday. 
    What did he say when he looked at your mouth? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi. It’s never easy waiting try for your children to enjoy your holiday. Worrying will nit change anything. Try to remember over 90 % of urgent refferals are not cancer. If you are unlucky enough to join us head snd neck cancers  have good responses to treatment. Min answer to mdt meeting they meet weekly. Easter will get in the way dependent upon when the next meeting is. 
    we’re here for you to have a wsnt but in meantime don’t worry sbout any delay a matter of weeks doesn’t make a difference. I was in Spain for 10 weeks with my lump. 
    hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Ok thanks I think everything delayed with easter etc Dr kittur is on annual leave too for a week or 2. 

He thought was some kind of trauma to tongue but concerned its been there over 3 months & my throat also hurting so I also had a usc with ENT to check this.

• Thankyou I know I guess every day feels like a week atm. I just have to switch off now and try enjoy Easter & our little break away. 

I was just all geared up for results this week and now could be a while. :( 

• Hi everyone, well it's been 3 and a half weeks still nothing. My gp and consultant ( morriston hospital) advised would be 2 weeks for the results. I rang hospital again today now to be told average is 4 weeks results on urgent basis m. Is this normal? Or am I being fobbed off. 

Anxiety thru the roof not only waiting for results from tongue biopsy but I also have a constant sore throat for 3 months that I need checked by ENT. They wanted results first for this. Unsure what to do Disappointed

• s this normal?

Sadly after Covid and dealing with the Welsh NHS it is. I suggest you phone every day. 
    It’s awful 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Lily - I agree with Dani. It must be very worrying especially as you have a sore throat/discomfort. Such things can play on your mind and before you know it you’ve got yourself into a really stressed state.

I’d be proactive and keep pestering them, maybe go in if you think that would help - who knows, it might kick them into action. Being left as you are is damaging for your mind-health and it’s not fair.

Good luck pursuing answers.

Reevsey
  • Thankyou yes I rang yesterday and I've contacted Dr secretary today for advice. Feel like my symptoms of sore throat & sore lump getting worse. Unless now I'm coming from holiday I'm more aware and less distracted. I will keep onto them. I mean after the weekend it will be almost 4 weeks it's crazy wait for urgent referral. 

Totally in limbo Disappointed

• Hi all. Well after ringing hospital I've finally got somewhere. They said they've chased histology for my biopsy results 3 times. Said my throat and tongue painful again.

Monday got a call that my results should be ready in few days (unsure how she knows this? Either ready or not) it's been over 4 weeks now and i have an appointment to see consultant this Thursday 11th.

Now all of a sudden I've been sent for urgent MRI (they called yesterday for appointment last night) and urgent ultrasound Thursday. Unsure why I'm having the two and why now when I've waited 4 weeks and they said they wanted the results from tongue before check my throat??? Bit concerned any thoughts? Guess I'll have more answers tomorrow but wondering if anyone knows how this is just escalated, unless they have my results....

• Yes it seems they have your biopsy results which is why the scans have been ordered. I’m sure the consultant will tell you more on Thursday. Take somebody in with you and make sure you don’t leave till you have a fuller picture. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge