Tonsill cancer stage 2

• 62 replies
  • 127 subscribers

Hi allBlush

I am here because my mum was diagnosed with tonsil cancel stage2 She is 64 and she smoked cigaretts for 44 years.She is having radiotherapy and little bit of chemo therapy.I am so worried becuse shePrayoesn't feel well during treatment.Is this all normal?Please helpPray

• Hi  

Welcome. Thanks for posting about your mum. 
    The treatment is brutal and she is going to feel pretty rotten for some weeks after she finishes. Does she have a stomach tube fitted. Does she have decent nausea and pain relief and how far into treatment is she? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you for your message.

She is in Oncology hospital in Poland and she only started 4 days radiotherapy.She has no tube yet.She has all medications for pain.Will she come back to normal after treatment ?She has treatment till 2 nd of May.

• Hi Joanna

T2N1M0 tonsil cancer HPV16+ finished chemoradio June 2023

Very normal to feel unwell.... unfortunately the treatment is very challenging.... but it works well with circa 90% success rate....your Mum is probably in for a rough time although not everyone experiences the severest reactions to Chemoradio.

Keep posting.

This forum is excellent for advice and support....all on here have walked the treatment walk

Best of luck and take care.

Peter 

• Thank you so much for support.

90 %is a lot of hope.

• Thank you Peter. I have hope.

• Thank you so much.I am going read your blog.

• The 90% is for HPV16+....HPV negative has a lesser success rate.

Has your Mum been told which type of Tonsil cancer she has?

• Hi. It’s a very long recovery. We are never completely as we were but nearly good as new. I can say I was happy with my new me by a year. She will have problems with a dry mouth that she will have to manage and there is a danger of some degree of hearing loss with the chemotherapy. 
    It must be awful to be so far apart. I’m sure you’ll do your best but please stay with us. We will help as much as we can. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • I feel much better after reading all what you said.Thank you so much.It is hard not seeing her but I am glad that we can text each other and face time(when she is not tired)we are very close and she is my world.
    so recovery can take up to 1 year?

• I was ok …. Ish by six months and some people are back at work by then. It’s a marathon. Radiotherapy does a lot if damage that the body has to repair. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge