Tonsill cancer stage 2

• 62 replies
  • 130 subscribers

Hi allBlush

I am here because my mum was diagnosed with tonsil cancel stage2 She is 64 and she smoked cigaretts for 44 years.She is having radiotherapy and little bit of chemo therapy.I am so worried becuse shePrayoesn't feel well during treatment.Is this all normal?Please helpPray

• Can I ask did you have feeding tube?

what stage tonsil cancel did you have?

• Can I ask did you have feeding tube?

what stage tonsil cancel did you have?

I had a nasogastric tube from the 4th week. My cancer was in the base of my tongue where there are extra tonsils. It was stage 2 HPV positive with no lymph nodes involved. Because of that I avoided chemotherapy. The same stage as your mum’s it might be that hers is HPV  negative which is why she is getting chemo. It’s something to ask 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Has the  others have already said treatments pretty brutal and can take a good 6 months to a year to feel yiure on the mend. Once treatment finishes it does continue to work for a few weeks so recovery doesn’t start straightaway . She needs to take her medication as directed and chemo can make her feel worse. I had a feeding tube from end if week 3 in treatment to week 3 of recovery. Earring and drinking can be severely impacted. It can’t be easy being so far away. Do you knowif  she is HPV positive ? 
    my blog below details my experiences 

we are all different in how we cope there’s no one size fits all treatment or recovery. 
    Hugs  Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• What is is mean HPV positive?Did you smoke?

Her cancel is not on the lymph nodes.

she is having chemo because this type of cancer is "leaking"to cells

• Thank you so much for your support too.Yes, everyone is different .I will read your blog too, thank you Pray

why is so important if it HPV ?do people live longer than?

I know she smoked for 44 years

• Hi Joanna

Chemoradio treatment for tonsil cancer 

HPV16+ has Circa 90% success rate

HPV negative has been found to have a 50-60% success rate

Dani is more knowledgeable....can maybe tell you more about outcomes.

Peter 

• HPV is human papilloma virus, a lot of head & neck cancers are linked to that and they respond well to treatment.

Wishing you and your Mum well

Catriona

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story

• Thank you Peter.

Doctor said to my mum 85 -90 procent she has chance.

• Thank you CateionaPray

• Hi Joanna

Great.... sounds like your Mum has HPV positive.... outcomes are good for most....pass on my best wishes to your Mum.

Things will be pretty tough for a few months.... but they will improve....I smoked and enjoyed alcohol for 20 years... now nearly 70 years old.... don't know if alcohol and cigarettes contributed to development of tonsil cancer.... certainly didn't improve my health.

Take care

Peter