Base of Tongue with spread to Lymph Nodes in Neck

• 84 replies
  • 128 subscribers

Hello my name is Dan. I live in Canada. It is newly diagnosed and still waiting for CT scan to see how far it has spread. Several lymph nodes in the neck are swollen. A biopsy on the node on the left side of the neck next to my thyroid showed squamous cell cancer. I am a 66-year old male in other wise good physical condition. Non-smoker.

If the cancer has not spread into my chest cavity they will treat me with radiation and chemo therapy. No surgery is planned at this time.

How important is diet at this stage. Does anybody have experience low alkaline diets? 

Any input is welcomed. 

Thanks in advance.

Dan

• Hi Dan and welcome. 
    Do you mean the idea that cancer feeds on acid and sugar ? 
    In the U.K. there isn’t much credence  in these theories. 
    You already have SCC and especially if it’s HPV positive it has excellent cure rates with traditional medicine. 
    If you are going to have radiotherapy I would suggest that you make sure you are as fit as you can be and put on a little weight. The treatment makes it difficult or impossible to swallow for a while. 
    Do please let us know how you get on. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani,

Thanks for the quick response and positive words.

I don't know that they have checked for HPV. but I'll ask.

Cheers!

• Welcome Dan!

Sorry to hear you're going through this too. I was diagnosed last week with cancer in my left tonsil (HPV+ with 2 slightly large lymph node but not confirmed cancerous). I had CT my scan results yesterday after the longest week of my life, and thankfully there is no spread. I'm waiting to see the oncologist next week to go through my treatment plan (likely to be induction chemo and possibly 6 weeks of RT).  As soon as I got the diagnosis I knew I had to get myself in the best shape to battle this and stay as strong as possible through the chemo/radiation.

I've been building my immune system with lots of cruciferous veg - soup daily made from organic broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage (any other greens available - spinach or kale etc). Into the Nutri-Bullet with water and organic stock cube, then throw it into a soup maker - 19 minutes later I have a bowl of soup and enough for the next day. It doesn't taste that great but I see it as medicine so no problem!

Breakfast super smoothie - raspberries, strawberries and blueberries, probiotic plant-based yoghurt (all organic) and a table spoon each of spirulina powder and wheat grass. The spirulina turns a lovely looking drink into green sludge (like pond water) but it tastes delicious Smiley I feel amazing afterwards and all morning!

Unsure how long I'll be able to swallow during treatment, but hopefully I'll be able to continue with this regime to some extent and at least I know I'm priming my immune system as much as possible before blasting it - can't do any harm! 

Hope your scan results show no spread - keep us posted!

Helen x

• Helen that sounds great 

Paying attention to your diet like that with all these superfood boosts helps do many people. I ate buckets of red and dark fruit and veg from our veg garden. I was humming with energy. 
    A word of warning to others. Stay away from mega doses of antioxidants tablets and potions.  Chemo and RT are both oxidative processes so throwing antioxidants at the cancer is probably not a good idea. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Helen yes my nutri bullet was my best friend right up to the day I couldn’t swallow anything. I threw all the above into green sluge drinks. Also made them into ice lollies to melt into mouth until throat couldn’t take them any longer. 
    H xxps I had forgotten about the lollies 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Dani - I'm going to check with my oncologist on Monday regarding spirulina as it is a very powerful antioxidant. There are conflicting opinions out there so I'll ask the professional for his opinion and cut that out if he recommends doing so in the lead up and during chemo. The cabbage and cauli and greens will more than make up for the lack of spirulina, hopefully! I'll share back findings on here.

Helen x

• Hi Hazel - oh I like the lolly idea, especially during RT when they are probably quite soothing aren't they! This would suit me much better because ice cream (despite tasting delicious!!!) is not great I find as dairy produces too much mucus for me unfortunately.

Helen x

• Hi Helen yes ice cream was too much for me. I was ok with the lollies until  the dreaded week 3. You di what ever you can ti get food into you. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Helen,

Thanks for reaching out. You are correct about the longest week (or more in my case) waiting for results.

I love smoothies and vegetable soup so I have already started on both. I've always eaten a lot of fruits and vegetables along with chicken and fish.

I'm not looking forward to the side affects of treatment but it is much better than the alternative. Have they told you how many days of radiation treatment to expect? Is it gamma radiation or photon? 

All the best with your treatment. I'll stay in touch and let you know how things go with my journey.

Dan

• Hi Dan - That's great that you like fruit and veg, I am the same and would eat anything regardless of taste or texture if it was going to make me better. I think this will help us in the long-run. I'm also pretty tenacious so when I get something into my head I'll focus until it's done - even if it means downing a smoothie or soup that tastes of nothing or carboard. I'm more concerned about my swallowing ability being impacted but if a tube is fitted (even if not used) at least we have a plan B. Lot's of weird stuff ahead for us to "not" look forward to...!

I see the oncologist next Monday so will learn more. The consultant could only give me a generic idea - probably induction chemo (which I don't know much about) followed by around 6 weeks of RT (given 5 days per week - sounds lovely!). I'll know exactly how long/ how many cycles on Monday hopefully.

They'll be using IMRT (Intensity-modulated radiation therapy uses 'advanced technology to manipulate photon and proton beams of radiation to conform to the shape of a tumour').

How about your treatment plan, are you seeing an oncologist yet or in the next few weeks?

All the best,

Helen