Base of Tongue with spread to Lymph Nodes in Neck

• 84 replies
  • 129 subscribers

Hello my name is Dan. I live in Canada. It is newly diagnosed and still waiting for CT scan to see how far it has spread. Several lymph nodes in the neck are swollen. A biopsy on the node on the left side of the neck next to my thyroid showed squamous cell cancer. I am a 66-year old male in other wise good physical condition. Non-smoker.

If the cancer has not spread into my chest cavity they will treat me with radiation and chemo therapy. No surgery is planned at this time.

How important is diet at this stage. Does anybody have experience low alkaline diets? 

Any input is welcomed. 

Thanks in advance.

Dan

• Gamma is photon just delivered more intensively. IMRT is gold standard for Head and Neck cancer in the U.K.  You can get Proton here but only in trials or privately. There is a trial called Torpedo that is comparing photon and proton therapy. 
    Chemotherapy tends to be given alongside the RT but sometimes before which is what induction chemo is. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dan,

welcome in our lovely group, but sorry to see you here. 

i was diagnosed with secondary metastatic head and neck cancer just before Easter. For now cancer didn’t spread, i had robotic surgery as they couldn’t find primary as was hiding in lower tonsils. 
    i saw my oncologist last week, and will have 30 radiotherapy sessions and 2 chemo. 
    Tomorrow i am off for dental surgery as having  crown and rake out my wisdom tooth (ouch).

as everyone said, great food choices and stick with it. I am not sure yet what type of  radiation will have, just know when i am starting and next Monday i am doing my musk and will explain all radiotherapy plan 

let us know how are you doing, and best of luck 

marta x

• Thanks Dani, that's really useful and interesting to know. My consultant mentioned induction chemo in terms of what is sometimes given 1st but told me that the oncologist is the expert and will give me all the details and they'll build the right treatment plan for me.

I expect I'll be told about mask making too at some point, perhaps next week. The first I heard of it is on this group - they do look very weird. What an interesting world I've stumbled into...! 

Helen x

• It’s complicated stuff. Your oncologist prescribes the amount of radiotherapy, if you’re having 30 fractions it’s around 67Grays. Some people have chemo once a week others in three instalments but the same amount. It’s the RT that does the job, chemo just sensitising the cancer to the radiation. 
    It’s the radiologists who transfer the prescription to the machine and radiographers who apply it. 
    When you get your mask made ask them to cut eyeholes in it. It makes the treatment easier gf you can see what they’re doing. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani, I did hear about the mask being made to ensure they apply the radiation to the exact same place every time

I guess I'll get more details after my CT scan and follow up with the doctors..

• Hi Helen yes get eyeholes cut out it does help many mask cane home with me and in hospital she had a name Venizia after Venice home of thr masked ball.she was a lifesaver there’s a  video of one being  made I’ll pop link on for you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zLF1o4BwbQs

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Dan welcome from me as well Dani’s has covered most thjngs. If I can help just ask. 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zLF1o4BwbQs
    zthis is a video of mask being made. Ask for eyehole to be cut out. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Dani, I did sign up for your blog. 

• Hi Hazel, I visited your blog site. It was very informative even though some was a little scary. It's get to hear it like it is.

Your bicycle trips are amazing. My wife and I spent about a month in Spain and loved it. I hope to back. 

I'll know more after my CT scan and appointment with the Doctors. Hopefully we can move forward quickly as long as there are no surprises.

I'll keep you posted.

• What an interesting world I've stumbled into...! 

Helen x

Funny you should say that. Physics was never my forte and I just scraped an A level to get into vet school but I loved all things nuclear and X-ray. I never thought I'd be lying on my back under one of these machines though. Nevertheless I was fascinated and still am with all the innovation in the pipeline. What we go through will be laughable in twenty years time!

Dani 

Community Champion badge