Post Treatment Ear blockage - surgery??

• 2 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi all

I've been vacant for a while but have returned to call on anyone with experience with blocked ears post treatment. I'm nearly a year all clear from nasopharynx cancer. Radiation a chemo has left me with hearing aids but I'd pinned my hope on a Eustachian Tube balloon dilation procedure to clear my blocked ear and take away the pressure and help my hearing. Unfortunately the consultant has ruled out doing anything as its deemed too risky. I just wondered if anyone has had ear blockages as a result of radiotherapy and gone on to have the balloon procedure. I have nothing to compare my situation against other then ropey US based Youtube videos. Of course i trust the experts but also have a feeling they just can't be arsed as it's not a common thing to do in the NHS.

I wish you all on this forum warmth, kindness, love and luck as always.

Alex

• Hi Alex. I can’t help you with personal experience I’m afraid. I can say that I only recall episodes of glue ear described 

Your best bet would be to get the opinion of a cancer centre experienced in this procedure. 
    Best wishes 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Alex

My experience with hearing loss after my surgery was down to glue ear as Dani said. The surgeon put in a grommet which helped the fluid drain away. It was very difficult losing hearing in my ear but I was lucky that it resolved. Yours sounds much more complicated. You can only go with what the experts tell you unfortunately. Hope you can get some resolution.

Lyn

Sophie66