MRi with contrast tomorrow

• 5 replies
  • 73 subscribers
I have to have an urgent MRi of head neck with contrast tomorrow. Just wondered if there are any nasties to expect with the contrast stuff as I can be a bit soft when it comes to such things. I'm ok with the iodine they use for CT scans, but this stuff is something different I think.
THey've made me do kidney function tests for it.
No scare stories though as I'll need to do it as they're looking for something sinister.Today could well be my last day of "ignorance is bliss".
Do they inject it before you go in the MRi scanner or during?

Its going to be hard enough with my head fixed in place when I can't even swallow my own spit!
  • With my scan I had contrast in the middle. So I guess they do one with and one without. 
    It’s not like the CT contrast which makes you feel like you need to pee. This one had no effect
    The radiographer just came in half way through, accessed my vein, put the stuff in then went back to finish the scan. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Ok so no nasty feelings apart from a slightly cold arm when it goes in hopefully.

• I don't recall any difference really, except it's bloody LOUD!... ear plugs and headphones.. other than that, it should be samo samo.. good luck. 

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Yes forgot about the banging as the magnets move about. They give you ear defenders and there is a mirror above you so that you can see CapControl

It’s a long scan. 45 minutes ish

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi you’ll get through it as we all did. The contrast for me was put in half way through the scan. I was given headphones to dull the banging. Plus told at anytime I could speak to the controllers if I needed to. Just practise breathing exercise’s I breathed on held for 5 seconds slowly breathing out.
     I also took my head to a nice place imagining a good bike ride etc.  holidays even a shopping trip round supermarket anything to  distract  

hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help