RIG fitting help

• 18 replies
  • 78 subscribers

Hi again,

Sorry more questions I begin my treatment on 24th July, first day of radiotherapy and first week of chemo cisplatin.

I have been informed that I will be having my RIG fitted on 8th August at 1.30pm with 1 night in hospital. I also have chemo and radiotherapy on that day as well Dizzy faceAstonished ‍Dizzynot had timing schedule as yet apart from RIG fitting.

How long do the cisplatin chemo treatment take each day?

I know that radio is about 30 mins.

Is this RIG fitting ok to be done 3 weeks into treatment? I'm seriously trying to get my head around all this.

Thanks

Sarah xx

• Hi Sarah

Typical cisplatin chemo day for me started at 0830...bloods taken then up for radiotherapy....as long as all was OK with bloods chemo procedure started...had to pass 200ml of urine before starting chemo....finished Chemo about 1600...iPad and mobile helped pass the time...also had some nice chats with others in for chemo.....download the Libby app....free newspapers and books....UK library service.

Peter

• Thankyou Peter

So how long would be expected for the chemo? I've not been given my schedule as yet. All I have been told is to be on the ward at 8.30am, waiting for call from chemo nurse. I hope I find out before treatment starts as I like to be prepared.

Thanks

Sarah xx

• Hi Sarah

Saline solution via canula before chemo....anti emetics and steroids administered....then a couple of hours of Chemo again via canula....another saline flush after Chemo...then, all being well,  home...

I was given a printout of 6 week ChemoRadio schedule by oncology....and a daily/weekly checklist to record any issues I was having with side effects.

Steroids caused hiccups.....quite common and annoying

Peter

• Thankyou you are a godsend helping with my questions xx

• Hi Sarah, I think that have been given some good advice about how long the chemo takes and what to expect. Do ensure that you note how you feel and react to the treatment. I was on cisplatin initially however did experience some nerve tingling and foot drop at which point I was changed to carboplatin. The steroids help deal with effects of the CT and you may feel a definite dip 3 days after each session.

All the best with your treatment.

- John

• Hi Sarah. Good luck starting your treatment today, you'll be fine. Let us know how you get on.

Ray

• Hi Sarah

I can't answer the cisplatin question as I had carboplatin which follows a similar process, but is much faster at infusing.  As has been said take something to keep you busy during the infusion.  After my infusion I was release to the RT team and they prioritised my RT on that day bumping me in front of others as they wanted to get the maximum benefit from the interaction between the chemo and RT.  Don't be concerned if your chemo session overruns as they will coordinate with the RT team.

As to the RIG fitting.  I had a PEG fitted before I started (I said I would not start until it was fitted and they somehow found the time to get it done!).  I could have had the PEG fitted in the second or third week with sedation as my throat was not that bad at that stage - the PEG is done via an endoscope so down the throat.  As the RIG is done by X-ray placement I would have thought you should be OK.  However, it is another niggle to deal with whilst everything else is going on.  Shame they could not do it earlier.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • good luck with everything .

• I begin my treatment on 24th July, first day of radiotherapy and first week of chemo cisplatin.

Hi Sarah. How did it go? How do you feel? You were on my mind today. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Awwwwwh thankyou been a long old day, timings were out of sink due to my radiotherapy was a bit out of alignment needed some adjustment and tweeking so had to ask my oncologist, all sorted and went back in and 1 radiotherapy down. Subsequently this knocked the other appointments out, so chemo was later than planned 5hrs later got home 6.15pm, all absolutely fine, talk about loads of trips to the toilet jeez it's all the saline and all the fluids I was drinking, but great need to look after my kidneys.

B️less you for asking 

Sarah xxx