Failed PEEK Implant

• 7 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Hi

I was diagnosed with a Sinus Cancer in Jan 23. 
I underwent chemotherapy. A Radical Maxillectomy with reconstruction  and finally Radiotherapy.

The cancer has not returned for which I’m blessed but unfortunately a PEEK eye socket implant was rejected by my body and had to be removed. My eye was closed with a Tarsorraphy to close my eye.

I’m now on a waiting list for further reconstruction. I’m intrigued as to whether anyone else has experienced this? How was the eye reconstructed? Did their full vision return unaided or was a prism required?

I maybe clutching at straws as it’s quite unusual.

Many Thanks

Fref

• Hi  

This is indeed rare. I’ve had a search here for you and come up with nothing. Sorry. 
    Do let us know how it goes. It might help somebody else another day. 
    I hope you get a good result soon. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Fref

After all that surgery to then have the eye socket implant rejected is tough. I do hope that the next reconstruction can solve it for you.

I had jaw cancer and have had at different times a  mandibulectomy, radiotherapy and maxillectomy to both sides of my upper jaw and reconstruction last year but my eye was not included as it is a different cancer to yours. It took a bit of adjustment to the new normal  for me especially around eating and drinking and it took a bit of time out of my life. I have been offered a lip graft to help with the issue of my lips not meeting properly  and am still on the fence about that. Wanting to get on with my life but thinking that it could help with some of my eating and drinking issues.

Your consultant is probably the one best placed to answer the many questions you have. Wishing you every success with your next reconstruction.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Hi Sophie

Eating, drinking and talking are all very important for quality of life. Being on one eye hasn’t been a problem as you so quickly adapt.

I’ll probably have a bit of correction on my lips and drinking can be a bit messy. But I’m learning to live with what I’ve got and start living. I’ve returned to work and also attend Active Against Cancer in Harrogate. Rehabilitation to improve my fitness.

i hope all goes well for you. It’s a very tough journey.

Regards

Fred

• Active Against Cancer in Harrogate.

That sounds interesting 

Can you tell us a little more about that? 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi

https://activeagainstcancer.nhs.uk

It’s an NHS service explained on the website. I started physio therapy to try and strengthen my leg, the fibulae flap donor site. The leg has only just healed over, after surgery in April 23. It’s a long story but the graft they took from my belly to cover the leg unfortunately died in places.

The physio said straight away I would get far more out of Active Against Cancer. The physios have more experience with my sort of complication and post cancer fitness. On the very first meeting I had confidence as my physio knew what my problems were, without me telling him.

I’ve started attended their exercise classes, cancer patients only. The exercises are really working and there is help on hand if i’m struggling. There is also a wellness and social side to the group. Classes are normally followed by a cup of coffee and a chat. I know some people have been attending over a year as they recover. More than one person saying they are much fitter and healthier than before their illness.

Regards

Fred

• Hi Fred

The group you are attending sounds great and just what is needed after a cancer op. The hospital where I had my first maxillectomy in 2019 had a similar programme for 6 weeks. It was really geared to head and neck clients and there were individual sessions with O.T., speech, dietician, a supervised exercise circuit and then a group talk about different aspects at the end with a morning tea. I really benefited from it and it helped get me back on my feet. Unfortunately when I had my second maxillectomy in 2022 we were in lockdown from COVID so the group had been cancelled. It was a real shame. When the lockdown finished I joined an over 50's exercise group run by my local council and that was great too. Exercise and getting together with others really makes a difference. Highly recommended.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Thank you Fred. That looks immensely helpful and I'm glad you are finding it so. I've bookmarked the site for future reference....so grateful.

Dani 

Community Champion badge