Progress after completion of treatment

• 6 replies
  • 71 subscribers

I finished treatment a week ago and understand that the first two weeks afterwards are hard. What areas have others found to be the first to show signs of improvement? Currently pain swallowing means I depend entirely on the drinks. How do I start on real food? Ulcers are grim in mouth and lips. How long do they last? neck very burnt- when can I hope for improvement? Face and neck swollen. Hopefully temporarily? Any helpful advice gratefully received! 

• Hello Sheepfarmer, well done for getting through treatment. Improvements take a while and it's different for everyone but my neck healed quickly (2 weeks or so) with no scarring. I was lucky and didn't get mouth ulcers but it took a while for pain on swallowing to go - some foods much easier than others eg porridge was manageable within 2-3 weeks I think, but I couldn't have acidic foods such as tomatoes for months. My neck and jaw were swollen for a few weeks but that gradually went down then disappeared. 

Hang in there - it all gets better. Good luck!

Catriona

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story

• Hi  

These few weeks are hard, especially as we are often told that we will start getting better in two weeks. For me I could see some improvement at six weeks and by twelve weeks I had turned a real corner. My ulcers lasted months but gradually felt less painful. I was on morphine till twelve weeks. Eating was just a matter of trying soft foods and smoothies 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Sheepfarmer, well done finishing your treatment, now for recovery. I can't add much to the good advice you have already had. I would say ask your team for Flamazine for your burnt neck, it works very well and quickly.

Ray.

• Hi well done for completing treatment. One day at a time sometime 2 steps forward snd one bsck. I had ulcers for s good 3 month snd was opiates until around weekn10. I got to cope with the pain I had a polymem bandage from hospital for my neck. It cleared up in a few weeks I was badly burned eating yih need 2500 calories every day for a good year anyway yiu csn. Appetite forget it food is fuel geg calories in anyway smoothies are good with extra peanut or other nut butters full fat milk cresm. Poached eggs tinned peaches snythjng soft. Blog below might help

hazrl xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• HI.  I am now just entering my 9th week post treatment.  We are all different.

I slept  for most of the first 3 weeks and have gradually improved.  Ulcers are my main issue and I still have some painful ones on the right of my tongue/mouth which makes eating solid foods difficult and painful.  I reckon the remaining ones will be with me for another month or so.  Just small improvements each day.

I was pump fed for 3 1/2 weeks post treatment then started on soups etc.  Taste came back fully (but more muted) around 7 weeks.  Dry mouth is a problem and none of the potions really help.  Lots of water to hydrate is essential.  I can now eat scrambled egg, macaroni cheese, toast, shepherds pie, chicken etc.  I still supplement with Fortisips.  I would add - little and often and experiment.

I managed to keep the burning at bay and only had one minor one that came up about 10 days after treatment.

Fatigue is still with me, but I manage around 4km per day with the dog.

Be prepared for a 2 steps forward, one step back  type of progress.  Things will get better only to get worse (but not as bad).  I think it is the way we heal and push our boundaries as we try to regain normality.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Good evening Sheepfarmer, firstly well done in getting through the treatment, it sounds like you are getting the common side effects from the radiotherapy. I would say about twelve weeks you will start to see everything recovering when everything has healed up, the swelling should get better day by day its just the lymph drainage system recovering after being damaged by the treatment. Once the ulcers have healed up you will find it easier to start swallowing better. Wishing you all the best.

Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge