Slight node discomfort

• 8 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi all,

I'm 11 months out from chemoradio treatment (yay!) and doing well - except for all the usual side effects...

Just this week I can feel a slight discomfort in my neck nodes on the side that was worst affected by cancer.

I had a 'no evidence of disease' PET scan last September. Then, I had 2 ultrasounds and an MRI on the neck nodes (same side as current discomfort). A few months ago, the MDT decided that the remaining abnormality in the nodes (a couple had not returned to pre-cancer shape) was scarring or a void. Nothing was lighting up on scans there and were even slight signs of size reduction.

It is discomfort rather than pain and I can't feel any lumps.

My next check up is with ENT in May (I am on 3 months, now).

It's probably scarring, tissue getting caught as I move my neck, fibrosis (I have some neck stiffness and pain) or lyphodema (I have this a little bit).

I am probably just worrying about nothing, but the "what ifs' are plaguing me.

Thanks!

Steve

• Good evening Steve, great to hear you are doing well i would say if its causing you concern then ask your team to see if you can have an earlier check -up, all the best for your continued recovery. Take care.

Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Steve

If you are concerned then do follow up and get an earlier appointment to settle your mind.

I had something similar happen to me after one of my ops. It was like a cramping feeling in my neck and if I massaged it it would twang and then go away. It felt as though something was catching. My consultant was not concerned. It did go away after a while and I have not had it since. It may just be part of the healing process but always best to get it checked out.

Lyn

Sophie66

• HibSteve. My oncologist and  ent consultant always told me they would sooner I contact them rather than sit and wait. If you've got your  cns or Macmillian nurses number give them a call. Or consultants medical secretary. 
    Fingers x it’s nothing but best to check. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• I am probably just worrying about nothing, but the "what ifs' are plaguing me.

You should call your CNS and ask to be seen. It’s not something you can leave if only to put your mind at rest 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Well I had niggles a few times after radio and chemo and was told about  pains etc and things are of no concern unless they are constant and are there for a period of time like a week or more , I did have a neck dissection also after being hit from behind while stopped at traffic likes . I had no symptoms what so ever or niggles I just felt something wasn't right , they removed 33 lymph nodes and 2 or 3 were cancersous and they found two more potential cancer sites . with one of them now active which I am being treated for along with it spreading to both lungs and  liver. so this one could be a tuff one to deal with , Well fingers crossed along with everything else lol All the best minx 

• Thanks, Min. Best wishes for your treatment

Diagnosed Feb 2023 with base of tongue cancer, oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (OPSCC), HPV positive, staging: T4aN2CM0

• HI SteveyN  Thanks All the best for the future Regards Minmax

• A brief update. I had a 3 monthly ENT checkup today. The consultant used the scope up nose and all is looking good. He couldn't feel anything unusual in my nodes and suspects that the discomfort is fibrosis related.

Phew!

Thanks for all of the support.

Best

Steve

Diagnosed Feb 2023 with base of tongue cancer, oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (OPSCC), HPV positive, staging: T4aN2CM0