Slowly getting there, there IS hope

• 29 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi everyone

I had chemo and radiotherapy Aug- Oct 2021 for left tonsilar cancer (HPV) plus one lymph node. I had 2 x chemo and 35 radios. I spent 2 weeks in hospital due to dehydration . I've had, like others, multiple ulcers in my mouth and one particularly persistent little b******d on my epiglottis. I lost 2 stones in weight and had 5 teeth removed pre treatment.

I am now 9 and a half months post treatment and I have been to some very dark places in that time. For many months I truly believed that I would never eat again or feel normal. I fully used a PEG from week 2 of treatment and until 4 weeks ago. I couldn't swallow anything but sips of water for 5 months so lost considerable swallowing ability. I found the lack of eating terribly difficult and isolating.

In the past 4 months I have worked on my throat muscles and slowly, slowly started to eat again. I'm nowhere near to eating 'normally'. I don't enjoy eating yet (was previously a confirmed foodie) and find it very tiring. I have what I consider a mostly soft diet because anything more sticks in my throat and my throat makes a very loud squelching noise. It's pretty antisocial lol. However, just this week my mouth is slightly less dry (hurrah!!!) and I have, very slowly managed to eat new potatoes and a small amount of tuna and broccoli (previously impossible). I returned to work 6 weeks ago. I can now go for walks which I have always loved (with plenty of water!). I have left the awful fatigue behind.

I do believe that things will continue to improve and so I just wanted to hopefully give anyone else in my position some hope too. 

• Hi Merrygoround and welcome to the community. 
    What a lovely  uplifting post. It just goes to show that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Once we find out we are going to live after all its easy to have expectations out of our reach. When life doesn’t live up to them it is bitterly disappointing and it’s easy to think we will never be well again. 
    Most of us make a good recovery in the end. 
    Thanks  for sharing. It brings a lot of comfort to folk just starting along the road. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Merrygo round. Well done on tuna and new potatoes it’s baby steps for many of us. Sone says 2 forward and one back. But you’ll get there. Great post and keep on trying I’m 4 years almost and still getting small improvements 

Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi that’s very positive for us newbies thank you , could you swallow to drink ? Xx

1. Aly14
  • Hi Aly14

Truthfully, I could only have the tiniest sips of water a couple of times a day for months. That was due to the ulcer down my throat. No amount of pain killers made any difference. BUT, I think it was quite unusual, so try not to worry please. Despite all that I got through it somehow. The health care(NHS) staff have been marvellous and yours will be too

• Thank you that sounded horrendous! I’m very lucky I’ve been able to drink all the way through xx

1. Aly14
  • Ah, sorry, didn't realise you're through the treatment. :-)

• Don’t apologise , I’m only 2 weeks post JoyJoy I’m just so impatient Merrygoround , I need to give my head a wobble , I will get there , might make myself a roast dinner soup on Sunday ! I’m so desperate to eat I have even asked my husband if I could lick & suck his pizza xx

1. Aly14
  • Ouch to pizza tomatoes can be very acidic ! Had to laugh at the Lick and suck ( think Dani will get where I’m coming from ) 

Hxx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Lucky it wasn’t a sausage !! Xx

1. Aly14
  • Good evening Merrygoround, this makes lovely reading, especially for any newbies, we always try to emphasise that recovery does not happen overnight and everyone recovers at different rates so well done in sticking with it and coping with the dark times. I never recovered my swallow and am PEG reliant on food intake, but can drink thin liquids which in itself is a massive blessing for me. Keep up the positive attitude and dont worry about your squelching noise as im sure in time it will improve along with your choice of food you can eat. Well done and all the best for the future.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge