R I G fitted yesterday.

• 8 replies
  • 69 subscribers

My partner had his rig fitted yesterday & came home last night, although he had a few stomach cramps he was fine. This morning he had radiotherapy & again was fine. This afternoon was a different story, he was doubled up in pain, the nurse came out as planned & tested it & everything was working ok. His stomach is bloated, actually really big, his not past urine since this morning although not had too much to drink. I called the ward & they didnt see that bothered but did say he could go to a & e. Not something he wanted or was going to do, he could hardly move. Iv managed to put him to bed in the hope its better tomorrow. Has anyone else had this much trouble after having their rig fitted.??

• Hi Hope60 pleased the rig fitting went ok I’m sorry I can’t really help with rig issues as mine was a ng tube. But I was told after each radiotherapy session to drink 2 litres of water if I could .I’ve heard many who have the rig fitted they do get bloated and windy lI your partner can swallow see if you can get him to drink to help with the radiotherapy after effects.  Or put through the rig. Of course if you feel he needs a and E please take him. It dies take a few days for every thing  ti settle down ,as he been given sufficient pain killers Plus if he’s on codeine or oramorph he needs to be taking movicol or laxido as constipation is common side effect from tablets and radiotherapy. There  is no worse pain than impacted poo through constipation a few on here will attest to.

Hope you both get a settled night , remember to tell the radiotherapy team tomorrow as they are your first point if contact 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi hope. Sorry to hear about your partners problems. Two things. The radiographers inflate his stomach with air to place the tube and this can lead to bloating for a few days. Some people get really horrid stomach cramps fit a while too so make sure those pain killers go down. Best of luck and keep in touch. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi, Hope60, it's good that your partner has had a RIG fitted, it will serve him well if he has trouble eating. It will take a few days for it to settle down, and the pain will ease off, he should really drink as much water as he can, or put it through the RIG, hopefully he will pass urine in the morning, if not just let the team know tomorrow. All the best.

Regards Ray.

• Well we are way into his 5th week and things are not so good, no pain but feels lousy. Sick,  hot sweats that drench the bed, he changes tshirts every hour, then his freezing cold. Anyone else had this? He can only manage 3 fortisips a day through rig as they make him sick. drinking plenty of ice cold water though. Anti sickness tabs not working so hopefully consultant will give him something stronger today. Neck getting quite red now although he says its not sore.

• Hi Hope. No I never got sweats like that. What do his team say? 
    As for nausea I never found much to help me through either. We all react differently and I can say that my pain was manageable but the RT and the morphine knocked me out and I felt sick all the time 

The good news is that he’s nearly finished. I would tell his oncologist about the sweats though if you haven’t already. 
    Best of luck. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Hope. Is he having overnight feeds through his RIG?  I used to have night sweats when having overnight feeds, as Dani said, best to let his team know. My wife used to put  Aloe vera gel on my neck after RT ( only after not before) it seemed to work  very good.

Regards Ray.

• No just daytime, when his not sleeping. He is drenched and so is the bed & his clothes during the day. Had a word with dr on monday, said it is a bit warm at the moment, well its nothing to do with the weather i can assure them. Said some people get hot with radiotherapy. But his dripping in sweat.

• Hi Hope, if you are going to the hospital today, be sure to tell one of the team about his sweating, sometimes you have to be a bit persistent and don't be fobbed off. If you are not going, give them a ring. They will hopefully be able give him something or give you some advice, to help with it, and make him more comfortable.

Regards Ray.