5 year survival for stage 3 tongue cancer

• 4 replies
  • 70 subscribers

The cancer research sites suggest that 5 year survival for stage 3 tongue cancer is just under 50%.  Is this what people are currently hearing from their Drs, or have there been any improvements recently?

• If you are HPV positive cure rates are 95%
    Please don’t read anything into the statistics

Stats have to be retrospective by their nature and treatment    has come a long way even in the last five years. 
    What did I hear from my oncologist? “Don’t look at statistics, they are meaningless and you are not a percentage” 

Pretty good advice 

I thought that there was absolutely nothing I could do about it so stopped worrying about something out if my control. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi 

I can only agree either Dani itin was given 90-95 % cure fir h p v positive. My oncologist first words to me was I’m looking to cure you and 3 years on almost am still in remission si will take that please kerp iff google anyone can post anything on there snd facts are at least 5 years out of date. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Totally agree with ladies' comments on this subject, most head and neck cancer have very good survival rates, and it's way above 50% although there are no guarantees. I had cancer 3 times in 3 years all linked to the head and neck, the last one was back in 2010. Wishing you all the best for the future,take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi, 

I had stage 3 tongue cancer, not HPV. I've seen the same statistics

They are only statistics, each case is different. 

I think, why wouldn't I be one of those in the 37% (yes shocking for my personal cancer) that survives . I'm just over 3 1/4 years since end of treatment so fingers crossed. 

Wendy