On the mend

• 20 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hi All I cannot remember where I read that for every month of treatment to allow two months for recovery. its  over 4 weeks since I finished my treatment. most days are fine and other days I just feel terrible , Friday I was throwing up and last night. It doesn't help with this mucus etc. does it just reduce slowly or does it stop all of a sudden ? . I saw the team on a virtual call and they were happy with everything , I am not eating yet and am starting to drink  a bit everyday. Thanks for any advice All the Best Regards Min  

• Hi, Minmax. It is like a rollercoaster along the recover, it seems like one step forward and two back, at times. You will get there in the end, just let your body heal itself, and it will. All the best.

Regards Ray.

• Thanks Ray there is no half measures , I was doing an email yesterday and literally came over like I need to lie down . like now which I did . I think I have been very lucky so far not having cold fingers , feet etc and the list of other issues which I can do without lol All The Best Regards Min 

• It's still very early for you min

At four weeks post treatment I still coughed up blood every morning and I was still reliant on supplements and took fentanyl patches and morphine

I also had a habit of falling back to sleep within an hour of getting up

Stick with it and it will slowly improve. I know that is easier said than done of course

Trev

• 4 weeks is still very early 

Its a bit of a generalisation but 6 weeks is when you start feeling a little better and by 12 weeks you do turn a corner. 4 weeks after my treatment ended I was still drinking Fortisips which was a bit better than pumping them in via the NG tube 

Take your time. You’ll get there  a few steps forward a few back but you will. 
    My mucous miraculously disappeared over about a week some time before the 12 weeks and by those 12 weeks I could eat a steak.... just couldn’t taste 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Min it is really early days for you bad ray says 2 steps forward 1 step back there’s no set rules I flew to Spain week 8 foot 3 weeks was only allowed as was going to our own place. I didn’t eat out apart from once hubbys 60 th I spat soup over him. Oops. I am now 30 months this morning walked 6 miles this afternoon shattered so 20 min power nap. I have one most days but that’s just me. All in can say is listen to your body I was eating 2500 calories a day for at least 15 month radiotherapy takes it out on your body. I am now starting to put weight on. Just take it one day at a time but really is baby steps. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi TrevW bloody horrible chucking up before you go to bed or getting up first thing in the morning and chucking up the food you have spent all night feeding on through the machine, sometimes its in my head and like a chain reaction. Thanks All The Best Regards Min

• Hi Hazel I saw the team the other week and they were happy with my progress and were telling me it was normal to be sick on and off and to start exercising if I can . Well I am nowhere near that yet but am moving about more in the day. I have had my first cup of tea today which tasted odd but hey ho got to start somewhere. Going to try eating  slowly next week Thanks All The Best Regards Min 

• to start exercising if I can

A slow walk round the block is all you need at this time. Or to a lamp post and back. Or to the bottom of the garden and back. I remember my first venture.....I walked up to where we keep our bees which usually takes five minutes............took me half an hour!

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani Yes I dont want to keel over out on the street so will stick to the house and have an average 1930s house so can do the stairs if I am feeling super fit Thanks All The Best Regards Marc 

• Hi Min. Start very gentle walk to nearest lamp post then next day the next one. Gentle exercise aids recovery but only at your own pace. 
    Onwards  n upwards we all get there in the end 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help