Radiation treatment protocol

• 21 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi everyone

I hope you are looking forward to the weekend - even though it sometimes doesn't feel much different to weekdays at the moment !

I have just completed week 6 of radiotherapy and have had my 2 doses of chemo.  

Having been a bit cocky about being able to eat, the mucositis and burning/metallic taste in my mouth when I eat has really hit now.  I am still able to swallow so will attempt to keep on with smoothies - I've been given some lactose free ones and I am adding non dairy high protein to them as I am now lactose intolerant.  I do also have a tummy tube to fall back on if I need it.

I have my last week of radiotherapy next week and I am dreading it, and the weeks after, particularly as the pain has really ramped up, also my neck is getting really red and burny (and everyone says that the few weeks after treatment are the worst).

My classification is T1N1M0 I have HPV related SSC.  They removed the primary tumour that was less then 2mm in the base of my tongue when they took samples from that area.  I have one lymph node that has metastised but it had not spread any further.  They did not remove the lymph node.

Anyway sorry for rambling (it seems a side effect of the treatment is not being very good at focusing !)  

My question is; does anyone know how they decide to give some people 7 weeks of radiotherapy rather than 6 ?  It seem to me that 6 weeks is the standard treatment (from my limited research). 

I guess I am just wishing I didn't have to do this one last week - I am seeing my oncologist on Monday and I will ask him too - I do trust him - he has been fantastic, but I also know that protocol can be different in different areas and it seems Covid has affected treatment protocols (I am now wondering if this is why they didn't just remove my lymph node after reading some other posts here).

Thank you

Sasha

• Thank you RadioactiveRaz - they did suggest cling film last time but I wasn't really sure what its for - I'll ask again tomorrow.  

Glad you neck has healed and ok with adequate protection.  I'm quite fair skinned so have alway had to slap on the sun cream, will have to be really diligent.

• Hellebore1 - thank you this is really helpful.  So whether 6 or 7 weeks we are all likely experiencing the same dose of radiotherapy.  I am now on co odamol but have oral morphine if I need it.  I will make sure I go home with prescription for plenty as once my treatment finishes I guess I will be more reliant on my GP and things are much slower with them.

• Morning Sacha 

One his thing is that your neck will start healing as soon as the RT stops. It doesn’t keep working afterwards like it does on the rest if you, if that makes any sense. A week later there will be a huge difference. Factor 50 on it for life though 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Dani - thank you so much.  I had been told we continue to 'cook' after treatment and everyone has said how awful the weeks after are, I had assumed that would include my neck burning would get worse afterwards.

• So whether 6 or 7 weeks we are all likely experiencing the same dose of radiotherapy.

Maybe. I had 67 Hazel had 73 

Whatever you have it’s tailored to the cancer. I wouldn’t worry about having too little or too much. Similarly the dose of cisplatin is worked out on your weight. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Ok - think I might ask them what my Gy is when I see the consultant tomorrow - thank you.  I think I'm just a bit scared about this last week, which is I guess totally normal.  I am sure I will get through it and the week will soon be over.

• Sacha. It is normal. Just hang on. You’ve done most of it. I do know how you feel but just take these last few days a day at a time. Tell us how you’re doing every day if it helps. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani.  I will be ok.  I love John Lennon's quote 'It will be ok in the end, if its not ok, its not the end'.  Thanks for your support x

• Hi SLJ65, just to say I found the last week really hard, especially the last few days, I kept saying I just can’t do anymore but then I just kept telling myself what if I didn’t do them and then the treatment didn’t work I’d always think it was because I’d missed them last 2 sessions, that’s what kept me going for that last week x

• Thanks Superstar2005 - I'll get through it, have come this far, have to keep going.