Radiation treatment protocol

• 21 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi everyone

I hope you are looking forward to the weekend - even though it sometimes doesn't feel much different to weekdays at the moment !

I have just completed week 6 of radiotherapy and have had my 2 doses of chemo.  

Having been a bit cocky about being able to eat, the mucositis and burning/metallic taste in my mouth when I eat has really hit now.  I am still able to swallow so will attempt to keep on with smoothies - I've been given some lactose free ones and I am adding non dairy high protein to them as I am now lactose intolerant.  I do also have a tummy tube to fall back on if I need it.

I have my last week of radiotherapy next week and I am dreading it, and the weeks after, particularly as the pain has really ramped up, also my neck is getting really red and burny (and everyone says that the few weeks after treatment are the worst).

My classification is T1N1M0 I have HPV related SSC.  They removed the primary tumour that was less then 2mm in the base of my tongue when they took samples from that area.  I have one lymph node that has metastised but it had not spread any further.  They did not remove the lymph node.

Anyway sorry for rambling (it seems a side effect of the treatment is not being very good at focusing !)  

My question is; does anyone know how they decide to give some people 7 weeks of radiotherapy rather than 6 ?  It seem to me that 6 weeks is the standard treatment (from my limited research). 

I guess I am just wishing I didn't have to do this one last week - I am seeing my oncologist on Monday and I will ask him too - I do trust him - he has been fantastic, but I also know that protocol can be different in different areas and it seems Covid has affected treatment protocols (I am now wondering if this is why they didn't just remove my lymph node after reading some other posts here).

Thank you

Sasha

• Hi Sasha If I tell you we flew to Spain 8 weeks after my treatment  I rode my bike would you believe me ! Well mad as I am we did. I also holiday twice a year for 9 weeks at a time I sunbath ride my bike swim never wear a bikini( nit a pretty site lol ) I also have fair skin and freckles but it hasn’t stooped me living my life. Yes the weeks after aren’t  pleasant keep hydrated keep nutrition going jn keep medicated and sleep. Yes get cling filmed up it saves the mask sticking and remember get a small much medical they will give yiu my g o was pretty poor as well

here uf you need anything Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help