Radiation treatment protocol

• 21 replies
  • 71 subscribers

Hi everyone

I hope you are looking forward to the weekend - even though it sometimes doesn't feel much different to weekdays at the moment !

I have just completed week 6 of radiotherapy and have had my 2 doses of chemo.  

Having been a bit cocky about being able to eat, the mucositis and burning/metallic taste in my mouth when I eat has really hit now.  I am still able to swallow so will attempt to keep on with smoothies - I've been given some lactose free ones and I am adding non dairy high protein to them as I am now lactose intolerant.  I do also have a tummy tube to fall back on if I need it.

I have my last week of radiotherapy next week and I am dreading it, and the weeks after, particularly as the pain has really ramped up, also my neck is getting really red and burny (and everyone says that the few weeks after treatment are the worst).

My classification is T1N1M0 I have HPV related SSC.  They removed the primary tumour that was less then 2mm in the base of my tongue when they took samples from that area.  I have one lymph node that has metastised but it had not spread any further.  They did not remove the lymph node.

Anyway sorry for rambling (it seems a side effect of the treatment is not being very good at focusing !)  

My question is; does anyone know how they decide to give some people 7 weeks of radiotherapy rather than 6 ?  It seem to me that 6 weeks is the standard treatment (from my limited research). 

I guess I am just wishing I didn't have to do this one last week - I am seeing my oncologist on Monday and I will ask him too - I do trust him - he has been fantastic, but I also know that protocol can be different in different areas and it seems Covid has affected treatment protocols (I am now wondering if this is why they didn't just remove my lymph node after reading some other posts here).

Thank you

Sasha

• Hi Sacha. Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but it seems that you are quite a way along the road and you have done brilliantly well to have got so far and managed to eat. 

The decision on how many weeks of RT you get depends on the clinical scenario, rather than any regional protocol variation. I'm no radiologist but I've noticed that those folk who have affected lymph nodes not removed seem to have that extra week. Some lymph nodes are simply not removable being too close to vital nerves and vessels. It really is important to get the metastasised cancer cells or they act as a seed to spread the disease further.

Having said all that, I guess Covid has had an impact on theatre access 

I had only six weeks but I was using my NG tube from the end of week three. I remember my last week. I felt the same as you. I've just had a look at my blog for that week. Take a look at the link at the end of my post. I'm a coward but I got through it and today I am 2 years out of treatment and living really well.

I like you discovered how tough the treatment is but I religiously took the pain killers and put my head down. I largely slept through those first two weeks after I finished but by six weeks I was eating well and had turned a corner.

It's crap!!! but worth it.

Good luck...you sound so upbeat just go for it.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani - actually now you mention it (so easy to forget this stuff- for me anyway).  Early on I remember them saying that the lump is lying very close to a carotid artery, although they have said that they may need to remove the lump in the future - so it is possible to operate on it but maybe they have weighed up the risks.

My son is going to his Dads for 2 weeks when my treatment ends.  Having to home school alongside treatment has kept me busy I think which has helped (as well as being infuriating at times) and although I am not looking forward to the pain, I am looking forward to being able to just sleep as much as I want to.

I have read your blog Dani - yours and RadioactiveRez - they are both so helpful xx

• Hazel had the extra week. We are both old ladies....I can see her shouting "oi!' at me now 

We got through. Morphine ( and Laxatives) is a great discovery. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi sasha

Firstly you have done amazing getting this far and still eating well- i did manage to stay self feeding, but it was really bad from the end of week 4

As for radiotherapy and the number of weeks, i didnt have surgery, and i had spread to one lymph node- and i had 6 weeks, not 7.

I did ask my radiographer how they decide on the doses etc, and he said there is a fair bit of maths involved - so i imagine that is the case with you too, that they have simply calculated that is the best dosage to give you a complete response.

I totally understand dreading the last week, the last week for me was hell.

Recovery is steady- like dani i slept a lot in the weeks following recovery, but that passed.

• Hi Sasha. Thus us Hazel I had 35 radiotherapy sessions reason bejng I had a pesky lymph node that was too close to spinal cord to operate on. To start with I had 2 lymph nodes but while waiting they spawned into several. The decision isn’t a regional one it’s a joint one I’ve that oncologist snd radiologist s who are far clever than me . I also had 2 out I’d planned 3 chemo . Yep Dani I was 61 when diagnosed  also h p v positive remember the h p v status is good . I got the results we all want after 18bweeks post treatment. Yes the last 2 weeks are brutal but fix on end resuktsa. Remember treatment continues to work before a few weeks after. It’s imperative to eat and drink as that aids  recovery   I had n g tube  ask I had mine end of week 3 then a further 3 weeks afterwards. Make sure you keep on top of pain killers 

good luck kerp in touch Hazel 

mos if you burn the hospitals are equipped I had a huge polymer bandage to aid recovery. 
    hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Thank you for reading our blogs sorry meant to put that 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Thanks Trev - that makes sense.  Well my last week was week 6 so I've already been past your last week - if that makes sense !  And I am surviving so I have to remind myself I will survive.  Funnily enough this is one of the songs that plays in the radiotherapy room while I am having my treatment.

• Hi Hazel

Thank you.  I'm actually 56 - I had my son late !  

The lovely nurse on my team has been putting a special dressing on my neck for the last few days and I now have the same stuff at home for my partner to try and put on - its like a silicon pad with gauze under which is supposed to help with healing. I'll ask about the polymer bandage.

And yes I will focus on the end results - so looking forward to Spring this year.

• Hi you’ll get there just don’t rush baby steps is the way. Maybe next week during treatment they may wrap your neck in hospital grade  cling film if they aren’t already. 
    My neck burned pretty badly but as long as I slap factor 50 on it I am fine it doesn’t stop me. 
    Keep in touch Hazel 

P s age is just a number  xc

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

• Hi Sasha,

To answer your question about the difference in weeks of treatment - it’s just different protocols delivering the SAME dose. Some Oncologists prefer to give the dose (usually 66 or 70 grays of radiotherapy) over 7 weeks, and some prefer to give it over 6 weeks. It’s the same dose, whether given over 6 or 7 weeks. They just give a tiny bit less each day if it’s over 7 weeks.  Slightly different if given after neck dissection surgery - slightly lower dose. Your treatment will be tailored to your precise disease, but is essentially a standard dose of radiotherapy. I also had 7 weeks of radio and 3 doses of chemo, sounds like you’re having 2 doses. The 6 week people tend to have weekly chemo, but a lower dose of cisplatin. And yes, 6 weeks is the more common protocol, but shouldn’t make any difference. Really good luck for the last week - I won’t pretend it’s easy, but you seem to be doing fantastically well - hang in there, it’s nearly done. Advice - ask about everything in the next week or so, especially if you need help with pain relief - there are lots of options. Don’t suffer with pain.

Thinking of you,

Hilary