Blocked Nose - Congestion

• 6 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi all 

I’ve been struggling with a blocked nose for a few weeks and it’s really affecting my sleep. I’ve used a decongestant at night but wake every hour or so with a very dry mouth and painful throat when this wears off.

I have a NG tube and do overnight feeding so I sleep propped up on pillows.

I’ve found that a walk in the fresh air helps clear it but as soon as I’m home I’m congested again.

I have no idea what is causing it and not sure if it’s just another side effect of the treatment.

Has anyone else experienced this and have tips for what can help resolve it?

Thanks

Suzanne

• I guess the dry mouth is, like mine, mainly caused by mouth breathing at night so everything dries out quicker than if nasal breathing.  I've not really found a good solution for that, most potions and lotions are only mildly effective for me.  I agree it really does hurt when everything dries out.  I do sip sparkling water through the night and find that helps, but I have yet to get a good night's sleep!

I did not have an NG (I had a PEG), but maybe it is the tube irritating the nasal passages whilst you are relatively inactive??  Maybe someone who has had an NG has some experience.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Thanks Peter, I’ll give sparkling water a try and see if that helps the dryness. I’ve been sticking to bottled still water which doesn’t give much relief.

• Hi, hope this works as I'm new to this forum today.  I am 8 weeks on from treatment for throat and lymph cancer and have the same problem.  It's mainly at night and I've found that a couple of drops of Olbas oil on my jimjam top helps a good amount. 

• Thanks Steve, don’t know why I never considered that but I’m definitely going to try it.

• Dry mouth and throat and dry cough is the story of my life at the moment. 

I have a humidifier next to my bed and I used a netti pot to clear my nasal passages. I also found the steam from the shower helped. Sleeping semi propped up also opened up my nose .  Drink a lot. I found when I didn’t it got worse. Every time you wake, sip water