My mums Oesophageal cancer .. straight to best of care

• 12 replies
  • 63 subscribers

Well back on this bumpy road again didn’t expect this so soon after loosing my dad 8th Jan 2021 .. (6weeks 5 days from diagnosis  metastatic bladder cancer .).. well today 25/0521 .. mum had face to face .. She as got  cancer of the oesophagus level 4 only treatment is best of care ..same as I got told with dad 

I fully nursed my dad at home  his wishes and looks like I’m on this horrible ride again :( 

I’m scared I’m not strong enough to do this so soon again  even though I know I will .. 

Any advice is welcome ..  

• Oh Tinks5, 

I am so sorry to read this, what a terrible shock this must be for you ((Hugs)), my condolences also on the loss of your Dad in January, you have joined a great forum, where a great amount of support is available to you.

Do you know which type of tumour Mum has been diagnosed with and whether there are any mets? by best care do you mean no therapy treatments?

You have more strength than you know, and this forum and the Macmillan team are available to you and Mum, should you need us 

Thinking of you

Lowe'

Call the helpline for free on 08088080000, 8am to 8pm everyday.
    Tomorrow is not promised but it always has potential. Aim for your potential!
  • Best of care is just end of life .. as nothing can be done just keep as comfortable as possible .. not sure full name etc as once they say it’s going to be best of care .. my  brain switched off .. will be speaking to mums Macmillan nurse and her coordinator at hospice .. but mum as other conditions as well so all together there nothing can do .. dad was a complete shock was healthy and  went   so quickly  ( couldn’t stop his gross heamaturia )  thank you for your words of support ..   on the outside I’m coping inside I’m crumbling :( 

• Tinks5

Thanks for coming back and answering my questions, I hope you get the answers from the Macmillan nurse.

How is your Mum managing food? 

I am placing a link to our Blog HERE it may give you some idea on food choices?

I truly understand when you say coping on the outside crumbing on the inside.. We are here for you x

• Food I’m blending into soups  texture also doing high calories fresh fruits ( no pips ) all blended  adding cream to anything I can also dietician said powder milk into anything I can .. for the little amounts she as I keep trying every couple of hours in day time .. had to learn a lot  of things in last  week .. mum I had to rush in on 999 as Sge was chocking on sone food I couldn’t get to move .. this is how this as all come around .. 

• Fizzy drink was what we were told, if something gets stuck, try a fizzy drink as the bubbles help to move it, not always sadly but mostly.  We make a lot of smoothies, high in antioxidant ingredients and we add super green powder to them. 

I fully appreciate how scary this time must be for both of you, and I don't have all the answers to make things any easier, but I do want you to know you are not alone... I log in here regularly and if you need a chat, just "pop-up" x

I am thinking of you

• I read fizzy drinks .. but mum doesn’t like them .. hospice are involved and  I’ve  got drinks to try via dietician  when they arrive .. She as been having a lot of full fat made with cream ice cream as seems to help .. one of the things I’m really finding hard is eating myself ( feel guilty making food for me ) as don’t want to eat normal in front of mum .. I hope this feeling passes even though only diagnosed 2 days ago already feels like a life time .. 

• It's a shame Mum does not like them, can you try tonic water or something along those lines?

I understand about the eating yourself. I really struggled with that in the beginning also, I started having the smoothies and the soups with my husband and would stop eating if he stopped or ran into trouble. 

sometimes I would eat late once he had gone to bed, or get up earlier and have a breakfast before he came down. It isn't easy and even though we know that they want us to eat, trying to eat is so difficult.

This cancer can be quite aggressive and things change hourly sometimes, I hope that once the hospital have their MDT meeting they will find a way of making things easier for Mum, that will I hope make it a little easier for you. 

• They had MDT meeting on Tuesday morning we got phoned to go in fir 1.30 the same day .. that’s when got told mum is best of care only .. no treatment will help :( 

• Oh, I am sorry!

I know you have mentioned that Mum has other conditions, but I have not come across a case where there is nothing on offer at all (hugs))

I truly am so sorry to read this

Lowe'

• They said they could maybe  try a stent if blocks fully .. but was on oxygen etc when did camera biopsy .. took over 2 hours before could move her back to ward .. She can’t have anaesthetic  because of heart and  her c o p d she not strong enough  ..   last week she couldn’t get even water to stay down as was bringing back .. but She said one day it just feels like it moved so she back having just little bits .. we at home now fir the ride that’s coming along x