Upper Back Pain

• 5 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Morning all,

My husband has just completed cycle 6 of CAPOX chemo but is still suffering bad with upper back pain.

Does anyone else have upper back pain?

He has a CT scan on Thursday but I am worried something else is going on.

Angie 

• Hi Angie/ 

I'm sorry to read that your husband is suffering with upper back pain and I hope that the CT scan can find out what's causing it.

I'm not a member of this forum but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your husband's diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Angie  

My only real symptoms has been back pain. This led to my diagnosis and has been there to some degree throughout. After 6 rounds of CAPOX it was better, but still present, and 3 months later it is getting worse (leading me to believe there has been progression).

Its been suggested that my back pain is caused by a mix of my liver mets pushing on nerves and pain from the oesphagusus itself radiating to the back. Apparently small changes in the disease position and size can make a big difference to the pain experienced.

I manage my pain using Amitriptyline and Oxycodone. I hope your husband has some pain relief available and that the CT scan goes OK

Jamie

• Hi Jamie 

My husband had back pain months before he was diagnosed, he had xrays but nothing showed up it was only when he couldn't keep food down he had his endoscopy, his back pain has been constant throughout not as bad when he was having chemo but the last few weeks have been bad he was told it was the pressure of the tumour on a nerve.

He has only been prescribed Morphine for his pain but it fatigues him, did you get prescribed your pain relief from your doctor or oncologist?

He had his CT scan yesterday probably won't get the results for weeks he was told unless anything else shows up. We see his oncologist on the 6th Aug for check up but he is now on his 3 month treatment break.

How are you doing on immunotherapy?

Angie

• My pain relief is prescribed by my palliative care nurse. She is great so if you do not have one already, I'd look into if one is available to support you.

My immunotherapy is going OK, in terms of minimal side effects. The fact I'm getting more and more discomfort is not a great sign though so I anxiously await my next scan. 

• Yes we have a palliative care nurse, I will ask her the question.

Sorry to hear you are getting more discomfort, my husband worries when he gets more pain that things are progressing, it's just something you don't know til you have a scan.

Stay positive that's all we can do.

Angie