Esophageal cancer

• 23 replies
  • 51 subscribers

I have stage 4 uncurable esophageal cancer and there is no optionforan operation.  I have had 6 cycles of chemotherapy and immunotherapy.  I had a scan after the 4th which showed my tumour had shrunk.  I am having 8 chemo cycles in total then I will continue with immunotherapy only.  A couple of weeks ago I got a piece of meat stuck and it took a lot of drinks and  being sick many times for it to eventually move, it was very scary. I have noticed since then I have to be really careful when eating as things get stuck easily especially bread, has anyone else experience this. I'm wondering if the stuck meat has damaged the esophagus and it needs to heal. 

• Thank you for your kind words.  You're right I just need to be extra careful in my choices 

• Hi there

I've not had a feeding tube as I've been able to eat most things really. No radiotherapy. My pathway is 4 x FLOT, followed by keyhole/robotic surgery and then a mopping up with four more FLOT infusions.

Anthony 

• I haven’t had radiotherapy only chemo and immunotherapy.  I too get very tired especially after treatment and trying to continue working as well.  Some days I just have to go to bed for a while.  I hope your Dad gets his tube removed soon.  Best wishes 

• Aw thanks for responding - good luck with your treatments Heart️

• Thank you for replying - dad won’t go to bed but doesn’t move from his chair much - he’s doing  amazing tbf he lives alone and his bungalow is still spotless . He's  lost quite a lot of weight during treatment too and had a DVT at the start . I hope you are feeling well and again thank you for replying 

• I too have a DVT thankfully only superficial but they have put me on thinners for 12 weeks. I too live only as my husband passed away unexpectedly last year so understand your Dad's situation. I'm lucky to have a good family but it's hard the times your on your own that's why it's important I try to keep working and also I don't get my pension for another 4 years, fingers crossed. I've lost 3 stone but maintaining it ATM, I was fortunate enough to have extra weight to loose. Sending love to you all 

• Ironically I USED to have lots of weight to lose but I went on a lifestyle change 12 months ago which included intermittent fasting, a low carb diet and lots of HiiT ( as recommended by the wonderful Michael Mosley) and in doing so lost around five stones. 

• They’ve not told dad how long he has to do the thinners for but think he’s on about week 10 so far - dads also lost 3 stones maybe a little more x sorry about your husband too life has a habit of trying to throw as much sh*t as possible at us all at once x you must be a very strong person. 

• I'm really not strong and have struggled through some dark times. I've had to face many of my fears because I haven’t got a choice but I  believe it would of been less challenging if my husband had been here. He was a  very brave positive man and I'm trying to drawer strength from him. 

• Hi diagnosed with breast cancer last year had chemotherapy and radiotherapy finished November 2023 , January 2024 found out I have oesophageal cancer which is a new prinary l  had PET  scan which then found secondary breast cancer in spine , I am unable to have operation for the oesphagael cancer now being treated with chemotherapy and radiotherapy I am half way through my treatment and up to now I was eating okay but now finding it painful has anyone else had this while on treatment